-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Magnolia 'Black Tulip' is my favorite plant ... this week.

What do the Prince of Whales, The Duchess of Cornwall, Aung San Suu Kyi, and I have in common?  We're all planting Magnolia 'Black Tulip' of course.  Check it out here.   I'm still waiting to find the hole already dug for me so that I only have to toss on three shovels full of soil.  Anyway, after several years of admiring this tree and seeing it at several nurseries and on Linda Reeder's garden blog, I finally found one small enough for both my budget and car. It drew oohs and aahs from customers as we wheeled it out of Valley Nursery last weekend. 


Read Erie Nickel's article about this pant here.  Hardy to zone 5 and prefers full sun but will tolerate a tad bit of shade.   I just noticed online that a big box store is also selling these. 
 
The rich color makes quite a statement in in the spring! 
What's your favorite plant this week? Let us all know by joining in Danger Garden's Favorite Plant Party!  Click on over here  to see lots of this weeks faves!

19 comments:

  1. I love Magnolias, and that one is a beauty. I wish some garden fairy would come to my garden and dig all my holes for me too, this rocky soil is getting me down. Did you see Debbie T. at Valley?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did see her there and it was such a nice surprise! (Because I don't pay attention to facebook like I should.) I'm actually very lucky soil-wise and can dig a hole fairly easily. It's rare to find rocks in my garden. I dug the 5 foot deep hole for my pond by hand.

      Delete
  2. Magnolias are the queen of spring flowering trees, and yours is a fine example why :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps because I have a gorgeous white and lovely lavender already, I've always admired the darker colored ones and this relatively new variety is truly wonderful.

      Delete
  3. Gorgeous! And great timing as my fav post is going up in less than a minute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exceptionally pretty! I hope you find someone to dig that hole so you can get it into the ground soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I utilize the services of the landscape firm Me, Myself, and I. They're nice enough but tend to stand around talking a lot and don't get much done. I'll leave them a note.

      Delete
  5. The latest is always the greatest...at least for a while. This one deserves "favorite" status for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still love my other magnolias but the deeply saturated purple of this one is a great addition.

      Delete
  6. It is beautiful I oohed and aahd over it a few years back but never bought it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been admiring them for a few years but didn't think I needed another magnolia. Silly really as there's always room for one more plant, right?

      Delete
  7. That Magnolia is a favorite of mine. There are a few here in the neighborhood that are simply stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to have it and look forward to it becoming a nice specimen!

      Delete
  8. A very striking bloom, very unusual for a magnolia. But I think if you are going to be hanging out with such august company you need a new title of your own. The Prince of Portland?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I love the alliteration, Portlanders might get upset at having a foreign prince. (You know how those Portlandians can be!) I could be the wizard of Washington. Tsar of Tacoma doesn't have the same ring to it. Duke of Earl? Tacky in Tacoma has worked well for me so far.

      Delete
  9. Very beautiful! I'm glad you finally have one after admiring it for so long.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.