-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

In Hog Heaven at Hortlandia!

I'd heard about the Hardy Plant Society of Oregon (HPSO) sale, now named "Hortlandia" for several years. Various growers speak highly of the sale and mention that it's the biggest sale on the west coast.  Come to find out, it's the largest sale of it's kind west of the Rockies or was that this side of the Mississippi?  North of the Mason-Dixon Line?  Anyway, suffice to say that It's big.  I've been to big plant sales before but this was really something.  Alison and I drove down, leaving Tacoma at 7:15 a.m.  arrived well before opening, and the line already extended around the room.


The line kept growing until eventually it morphed into a mass of people filling this rather large lobby.  When the doors were opened to the sale, the movement of the crowd as a unit was an interesting thing to be a part of.

No wagons are allowed so one must hold a box and ogle plants.  There were so very many fab plants that it was difficult to pull myself away to take pictures so there aren't many in this post.  This is an awesome plant sale in the true sense of the word.  It's easy to be overwhelmed by the sheer size of and number of deservedly well-known vendors  at this happening!

This podophyllum (sorry, forgot the name) was tempting but I decided against giving it a ride home.

Everyone who can should grow an Embothrium coccineum.  Their bright flowers are a hummingbird magnet and they have attractive evergreen foliage.  I got one about this size a couple of years ago at the Seattle Flower and Garden Show and it's now at least 10 feet tall.  I'm hoping to see blooms next year!

It's impossible to show in a photograph how large this part of the expo center is and how many plant tables were present.  Go here to see a room map complete with vendor names.  The plant holding area alone is huge and filled up very quickly!

You never know who you'll run into!  Here's Jane,  the Mulchmaid

Linda, Whatsitgarden, fondles a candidate. Do you see the people in the background?

It's the dynamic duo of Heather, Just a Girl with a Hammer, and Scott, Rhone Street Gardens.  

Alison found Hannah, Weeding on the Wild Side, who we hadn't met before.  Garden people are always fun and it was lovely to meet another!

We also ran into Matthew, The Lents Farmer and Loree, Danger Garden who encouraged us to come to the sale.    Somehow they eluded the camera.  People come from all over the country to shop at this sale and it's only a little over two hours driving time from where we live.  Hello, I'm (Insert name here) and I'm a plant addict.

So, here's part of the plant holding area.  Alison and I have discussed volunteering at the sale next year so that we can shop before the sale opens to the public.  Although everyone was very nice, it would be great to take pictures without disturbing plant shoppers. Oh, who am I kidding, it would be incredible to shop early and be able to see the plants that sell out quickly and worry about taking pictures later!


 A few fun things from the art area:

Just what I need, another reason to visit thrift stores. I liked these very much and may make one or two for my garden when I have some extra time.

Cute or what?  This booth had many styles of these birds, which were reasonably priced and would be very sweet sitting on top of a fence. 

Beautiful metal trillium!

Almost got one of these sweet bats but decided  that since I haven't hung the bat I got from the Seattle Show in February that I should wait.  Hope they're here again next year!


 Here's Alison with her haul.  
 And here is mine.  (Can't believe that I bought a rhododendron! but the foliage of 'Super Flimmer' is pretty spectacular!

Also found this cool  seed pod vasey thing

And this sweet cat to replace the marker on the spot where our much beloved grey kitty (wet, this looks much darker)  was buried many years ago.  Since then, we've cremated our pets and now have  ashes in beautiful contaners all over the house.  Maybe we should consider scattering them?

So, the sale was an amazing experience and Loree was right, it took us a little over three hours to see it all and I could have stayed longer but we wanted to make a day of it and visit some nurseries (we hit 4.)  Stay tuned for more from Portland, a wonderful garden city and if you can, plan on attending the sale next year!  

25 comments:

  1. That day was a lot of fun! Days with you are always fun, rocketing around from one nursery to the next in your plant-mobile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have fun with you too! It's great to have a fellow addict to play with! I'm going to call my car the plant-mobile from now on!

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you two got to go to the sale. It's fun seeing the garden art section through your tour since "some" bloggers don't share our enthusiasm for it. The kitty is a sweet remembrance.







    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish that I had been more thorough at this sale and given the artists credit but alas, I was overwhelmed by the joy of the thing! Next year, I'll do a better job. I love creative stuff almost as much as I love plants!

      Delete
  3. So glad you guys came down for the sale and wow, you did score quite the haul. I love Alison's comment above about your "plant-mobile"...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad that we got to spend some time visiting with you! What a glorious day it was! Am naming my car the plant-mobile!

      Delete
  4. I used to go to the sale late and never know what I was missing, but now that I get the lowdown from various bloggers I can see the wisdom of shopping early. You and Alison are well on your way to becoming honorary Portlanders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the neighborhoods of Portland and how much people there garden or at least do interesting things with their exteriors! If I were younger, I might just pack up and move down!

      Delete
  5. The venue and the plant sale looks huge! Great haul and looking forward to your Portland nursery posts, a preview of what's in store for July.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sale was incredible and I love the plants I found there. I'm so glad you're coming this summer!

      Delete
  6. Oh I wish I lived closer! Thanks for letting me enjoy it vicariously : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a bit of a drive for you! Glad that you can enjoy it from your computer thought!

      Delete
  7. Lovely to see you all at the sale , and we'll meet again this Sunday? I'll forgive you for posting that photo …maybe .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I could be there but I work on Sundays. Alison will be bringing some of my plants down though. Your picture is adorable!

      Delete
  8. That looks like way too much fun!!!!! Those Embothrium are real treasures. They're SO hard to propagate and worth whatever the cost...spectacular tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a wonderful sale! Are you thinking of maybe going next year?

      Delete
  9. Wow, what a great place to pick up plants and meet other gardeners. I love that metal Trillium. Sounds like you had a really great time there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty special sale and it was an added treat to see so many garden bloggers there!

      Delete
  10. Wow, such a great place for purchasing plants and meeting up with other gardeners. I love that metal Trillium. Sounds like you had a fab day there. As much as I would love a Podophyllum, it probably wouldn't last in the mail. So I will content myself with looking at your gorgeous plants here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While a podophyllum might survive the mail, I'm not sure how it would adapt to our differences in seasons.

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful plant sale and such unusual plants and art work for you to drool over! You seem to have so many nurseries and plant sales near to you, you are so lucky, but maybe I would be too tempted and come home with too many plants if we had the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are very lucky in this area to have so many great nurseries and sales! You're right, it's easy to come home with far too many plants! I have many gorgeous plants in pots waiting to be planted!

      Delete
  12. It was great to meet you and Alison, Peter! I so enjoy your zany sense of humor. I'm kicking myself that I forgot my camera and didn't think fast enough of using my new smartphone to take a photo of you as well. I met Scott at Hortlandia last year but haven't met the other local bloggers yet. It was mind-boggling sifting through so many plants and neat garden art. Another local plant sale is coming up this Friday thru Sunday, 4/25-27, at the Clark County Fairgrounds PUD Home and Garden Idea Fair, in Vancouver, WA on I-5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pleasure was ours! Thanks for the heads up about the plant sale. Unfortunately, I said that I'd work for the next two Saturdays and will be missing a couple of great sales up this way, not that I need another plant!
      Happy gardening!

      Delete
  13. So many bloggers there! I really like those art pieces that you photographed.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.