-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, November 18, 2013

The Garden of Bill & Cheri Hansen

We now come to the last garden on the  Lassie and Outlaw tour of Northwest Perennial Alliance Open Gardens.    We ended our July 27th adventure in Lakewood, about a half hour from where I live, in the garden of Bill & Cheri Hansen.

"We have resided in our home for 46 years, and during that time, the garden has changed a few times:  now being some formal and a bit country informal, with English and French accents." C. Hansen 


I recognized these Agave weberi as being part of those brought in last year by Portland Avenue Nursery.  There were only four, I got one, Cheri got these two and I don't know what happened to the last one.  Cheri was surprised that I knew where she got them.  Some might say that my knowing the inventory of most of the nurseries in my area is a sign that perhaps I spend too much time plant shopping.  (Like there is such a thing.)



Is this metal glider cool or what?

Bill is a golfer.  do you see the blue flag in the ground toward the right of the picture?

Interesting objects abound in the Hansen garden.


"We use boxwood, clematis, lavenders, and lots of hydrangeas.  You'll also find roses here and there." 

 
"Pots and containers are scattered around the areas, some with plants, some without.  My goal is to always have something in bloom, year-round"


The glass accents around the garden are discards from a hot glass artist friend. 



 
Many nice surprises awaited us as we strolled through this garden.


Pretty cool trick to enjoy so many lovely trees and still have a sunny garden. What kind of trickery makes this possible?  Thank you Bill and Cheri for sharing your magic with us!

This ended our summer of garden gallivanting.  I look forward to seeing many of the gardens we had to miss this year next summer! 

23 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to checking out more NPA tour gardens next year too? Shall we do it again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! It was such a fun summer and now that I'm pain free, it'll be even more fun next year! Hope your back is feeling better every day so that we can go junking this winter.

      Delete
  2. I love all the personal and vintage touches. The espalier on the fence is so striking. Knowing the inventory of your favorite nursery sounds reasonable to me. Of course knowing how many A. weberi are in stock around here would be a challenge. You'll probably find that fourth one too.

    Beautiful garden to end the tour on. Look forward to more next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It'll be fun to post more tours next year! Hope you're staying warm!

      Delete
  3. OMG...seeing that huge area of lawn makes me itch to tear it up and plant things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say the same thing Shirley did, you'll find the fourth eventually...(and no, it's not here in my garden).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was still at the nursery pretty late in the season just before nearly all the plants disappeared for a time so maybe it went back to a supplier or home with one of the workers.

      Delete
  5. I'm get the same urge as Scott... think of all the plants I could get into such a huge area. But for now I'm "borrowing" the idea of the Rose in the bird bath! It's too gorgeous not to copy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would also want to plant lots more plants in the available ground. I often float flowers on my bird baths and other water holders.

      Delete
  6. A pretty garden with attractive decorative touches but I lean with those above, I'd be sorely tempted to chip away at that lawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that Bill uses the lawn for golf practice. Although the lawn looked beautiful in this garden I'm with you, I'd be planting lots of other plants!

      Delete
  7. Interesting mix of styles. espalier, clipped hedges, twiggy arbors and cottagey borders all coexisting? Seems to work here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really mixed it up nicely. When I try to mix things up, it looks more schizophrenic and jumbled.

      Delete
  8. A lovely, eclectic garden full of personal touches, looks like the couple does get lots of enjoyment maintaining it. Agave weberi - could do with one as we lost a big one a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know where there are three... Are you bringing a shovel when you visit Portland?

      Delete
  9. I surely do like this yard/garden with all the unique, whimsical items...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Peter. I really like the sense of enclosure this front garden has. I bet it looks beautiful in winter too. Thanks for sharing. Sorry I've been away so long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has really good evergreen bones that will indeed make it a joy in the winter as well! It's all good, we all need a break every now and then. Glad all is well with you!

      Delete
  11. Nice tour. Love the bird baths and arches, and even I can appreciate the handsomeness of those Agave weberi.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun garden. We'd better mark the day, Jason found an agave handsome!

      Delete
  12. I have so much admiration for gardens with such restraint and formality! It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree but could never pull that look off because of that plant buying addiction thing.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.