-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, November 15, 2013

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day November 2013


On the fifteenth of each month, garden bloggers around the world join with Carol at May Dreams Gardens to post images of what's currently blooming in their gardens.  Do click the link to explore the world of blooms this month.

Here are a few of the plants still blooming in my garden this November:

Tuberous begonias are still at it although some have already been cut down and are stored in the basement for the winter.

Daphne 'Summer Ice'

One of the well behaved impatiens.  The ill mannered ones are also still blooming.

Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora'

This brave Calibrachoa, a gift of a coworker three years ago, has somehow survived those winters in the same hanging pot it came in hung on the back fence.  It doesn't get as much water as it should in the summer and I don't remember ever feeding it.  Such a brave soul, maybe I should be nicer to it.

Yes, it's Abutilon megapotamicum AGAIN.  I'm just going to keep posting it until everyone who can grows it. 

Pelargonium 'Indian Princess'

Some rhododendron that I planted years ago because it has cool foliage.  It blooms now and again in early summer. 

Clematis 'Nellie Moser' is putting on a little fall show.

Abelia

Tanacetum parthenium sweetly reseeds around.

Ceanothus

This wild yellow primrose threatens to take over the world every year but it pulls up easily enough and I'd rather fight something like this than some other weeds I can think of .

Garrya elliptica that came from Dig many years ago and was promptly planted in the wrong space.  It seems to have forgiven me and is full of what will be long gorgeous catkins during the winter.  I cheated because it's not really blooming yet.

Salvia 'Amistad' has bloomed since I put it in the ground in July.  Sure hope this is as hardy as they say it is!

Salvia 'Hot Lips'

A few roses still hanging on.

Viburnum 'Pink Dawn' is just starting to open a few flowers.  This special plant will bloom after the leaves fall whenever the weather gets a little warm during the winter and by February will be covered with flowers.  
 
So many fuchsias, so little time.



 
Thanks Carol for once again hosting this delightful meme!

24 comments:

  1. Still a good selection of blooms in your garden despite the time of the year. And thanks for reminding me of Daphe, better check ours if its in blooms too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had a fairly mild fall temperature-wise this year so far. Happy GBBD!

      Delete
  2. You still have so much more flowering than I do, but then you have way more plants than I do, and in a smaller space as well. I'm feeling hard pressed to put a Bloom Day post together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't need blooms, your vibrant personality lights up your garden! I bet you have some cool grasses and other seed heads that are kind of like blooms!

      Delete
  3. So many flowers!!! Doesn't look a bit like it's almost winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You said the W word. Yikes! I'm so shocked I don't know what to think.

      Delete
  4. So many beautiful blooms. But I have to say, I think I love the catkins the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are lovely and understated right now. Perfect for this time of year.

      Delete
  5. It never ceases to amaze me how some plants persist in producing flowers long past their prescribed season. Obviously, they don't read their press clippings. That 2nd fuchsia is particularly intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I remembered the name of that fuchsia. I got it at a fruit stand a few years ago, plopped it in a hanging pot and left it out in the weather for a couple of winters & it keeps coming back. Maybe I should take care of it next summer.

      Delete
  6. Is it typical for 'Nelly Moser' to bloom so late?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually one big flush in early summer and then on and off through the rest of the season. This was a singular bloom, unusual for this time of the year.

      Delete
  7. I have fallen into your Abutilon megapotamicum vortex and put one in this summer. Unlike yours, sadly, it isn't blooming. Love the bright blooms of your Kerria!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In early spring, Kerria is covered with yellow, then blooms sporadically until frost. I'm considering taking it out to make a larger space for the tender succulent/agave pots next summer. If I do, there'll be lots of them at the next plant exchange.

      Delete
  8. Your climate is milder, so many blooms still for you! The fuchsias are looking colorful and dainty. I wish my Ceanothus would bloom again, which one is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's one of the variegated ones maybe Ceanothus thyrsiflorus "Zanzibar"

      Delete
  9. Our fuchsias are still looking good. I noticed a winter jasmine already in bloom when I was raking leaves Wednesday. But the fall foliage steals the show so I forget to notice what's still blooming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, the foliage is gorgeous and this year, like last, the foliage seems to be exceptionally vibrant.

      Delete
  10. Beautiful are your photos!
    Greetings, RW & SK

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good thing this is not a competition or I would fail miserably.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Ricki, your garden is gorgeous and everyone knows that gardeners with truly good taste concentrate on beautiful foliage and not the fleeting beauty of frivolous flowers. Therefore, you win!

      Delete
  12. Daphne is November? I'm so, so jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the variety. Don't be too jealous, to my nose the fragrance doesn't particularly waft but is nice when you get really close to it.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.