-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, November 8, 2013

A Color - Filled Visit to Vassey Nursery.

You can read more details about the wonderful Vassey Nursery in other posts here.  Today we'll look at some gorgeous fall foliage from a couple of weeks ago.

Euonymus alatus is such a gorgeous plant this time of year!  Very tempting.  I had to keep repeating to myself, "It's just a blob of green all summer."  to avoid taking a few of these home!

Like other Euonymus, this one makes showy fruit but it usually goes unnoticed because the foliage is so brilliant.

These long beds by the parking area are still looking great.  I wonder what will replace the fuchsias and geraniums when frost takes them out?

So much glorious color!

Parrotia persica, grown mostly for the fall foliage. 



Hamamelis x intermedia 'Diane' was  fluorescent!  I fell in love with Diane this spring when I saw her gorgeous orange fragrant flowers but didn't bring her home then.  Now seeing this foliage, I'm thinking I could find space for her. 


Oak leaves adding a bit of orange to the mix.

Blueberries are gorgeous and they make those nice berries, too!

Ekianthus


Purple evergreen euphorbia.

The sweet scent of winter pansies perfuming the air. 
 
An attractive combination - Kale and Dusty Miller.  


 
 Hypericum inodorum 'Kolmaref' flowers and berries.  Sweet plant!



 
Fall is a great time to visit nurseries, especially to buy plants for fall interest!  Hope you have a great weekend packed with gardening and nursery shopping!

22 comments:

  1. Love all the Witch Hazels! I visited Portland Nursery a few weeks ago and they had one (I think it was just labeled Hamamelis pallid) with the most wonderful fall color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one that has brilliant gold fall color but although it gets buds, when the flowers open, there's only the little open cup thing - no thready petals, no fragrance, noting. I'ts been there for 15 years, has become quite large and appears very healthy. I'm thinking it's time for it to go away and be replaced by "Diane."

      Delete
  2. Your timing of visit was perfect, managing to capture all that leaf colour before they fall away. And love the intense colour of the Hamamelis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've lost the tag for my witch hazel, but I know the flowers are orange, so I wonder if it's 'Diane.' I probably have the tag somewhere in one of the many piles and ziploc bags of tags. The Enkianthus and the Parrotia are both very pretty in fall too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So much nice color this fall! Let's hope for a really short and warm winter!

      Delete
  4. Your photo of the Hypericum inodorum 'Kolmaref' has me wanting to run right out and buy one NOW!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Despite of fall the colors in this nursery are bright. I loved the oak red leaves and cineraria, its silver leaves go well to many other plant, I grow it near the rose bushes. Have a nice weekend, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear that after our last storm most of those trees and shrubs are bare now. Oh well, we'll try to enjoy winter. Happy weekend to you, Nadezda!

      Delete
  6. I love your photos. Autumn is such a lovely season.
    No plant shopping for me this weekend, though. Instead, antiques in Puyallup, and stuff for Jill's house at Home Depot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Still the thrill of shopping though - Hooray! May Puyallup be full of mid - century American pottery planters for you!

      Delete
  7. Thanks so much for the marvelous photos! You've had a wonderful autumn color parade. Ours was too short. It frosted about 2 to 7 days before the leaves fell, but just early enough to get 1 or 2 good color days! Then POOF gone. Look down on the ground FOOP and there the color is at our feet. Oh well, we saw them every so briefly...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sad when frost cuts the fall foliage season short like that! Oh well, there's always hope for next year!

      Delete
  8. What do you have up your sleeve now that the rain and the wind have done their thing? I'm sure you will think of something. This was a sweet farewell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was contemplating taking a break from blogging every day but then things keep popping up to photograph. It's harder now with the time change and shortened days as I leave home just as it's getting light and it's dark by the time I get home so have to take lots of pictures on Saturdays. Oh well, January and the lengthening of days is only a month and a half away!

      Delete
  9. Your fall colors keep on coming! I thought the dusting of red on my blueberries was pretty but they don't hold a candle to the color of those you showed. I did, however, spend by Saturday on a 3-stop nursery glut...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a good year for fall color for us. Ooh, a 3-stop nursery glut sounds like a LOT of fun!

      Delete
  10. I don't care if the Euonymus alatus is a blob of green all summer - what a gorgeous plant for fall! I wouldn't have been able to resist! I like the kale and dusty miller combo, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will probably succumb to the charms of Euonymus alatus one of these years because you're right, it can't be beat for foliage this time of year. There' s a feeway entrance, road splitting (whatever you call it) nearby that has a mass planting of these in a huge bed between the roads. People always slow down there in the fall because of the intensity of color.

      Delete
  11. Why do your nurseries look better than mine? Most of the plants at the one near me are being put away for the winter. I love all those flashy fall shrubs, even if they are green blobs all summer. Hypericum is super luverly but it spreads like a damn virus here. I had to pull mine all out before it took over.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe because of our climate. Most of the hardy shrubs, especially the evergreens, stay out all year, only the herbaceous perennials are moved once they die back. This makes room for the whole holiday expravapalooza. In January, the after Christmas sales and inventory happen and things start gearing up for Valentines day & the whole early spring planting craze. Move west young woman!

      Some hypericum varieties are more restrained than others.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.