-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, January 17, 2013

Winter Color - If it isn't Covered with Snow


Lots of my friends in colder winter climates have mentioned that they have beautiful evergreens that, if they shoveled the snow away, they would be able to see.  I love snow because it reminds me of growing up in Vermont and Alaska.  I also love it because here it rarely lasts longer than a few days before it melts away which allows us to enjoy our smaller evergreen plants in the winter.  A quick trip to a nursery to visit a few plants always puts me in a good mood.  This day, I was passing by Watsons on my way to something else and the car mysteriously pulled into the parking lot and stopped.  What could I do? 

These cool combination pots always look great in other people's gardnes and are perfect beside a door.



 
'Scarlet Curls'  Willow or Salix x 'Scarcuzam' looking quite lovely.  Are those leaf buds?
 Cornus 'Midwinter Fire'

Acer palmatum 'Sango Kaku' (Coral Bark Maple) Why does mine only have coral bark on the new growth and grey bark on the trunk and larger branches?  I'm tempted to cut it down but I've had it for nearly 20 years...
 
 
Spring (o.k. midwinter) is in the air.  It's that time of year when we're thrilled by just about anything in bloom.  Modest blooms that in the height of summer might be overlooked are now treasured. Witch Hazel 'Diane' in bloom with some buds in the background.
 Helleborus looking fresh  and sweet.  Also has many buds.


 
Iris and crocus ready to take home and plop in the ground. 
 Pieris japonica budded up.  For those of you playing the bud game*, you know what to do.

Berberis berries  adding a bright red note.

There are so many beautiful evergreen euphorbias - sigh.  So many plants, so little space.
Euphorbia 'Ascot Rainbow' is one that I treasure as its foliage always looks so good that I'm tempted to cut the blooms off.

 
Inside is this huge jade tree that was started from a small cutting over 20 years ago.  I'd never seen it in bloom before- quite a treat!
 
 These are outside with only a little roof over the top for protection.  Hope springs eternal.

*Bud day was an idea on  the Danger Garden blog. Here's how to play the bud game: make a large pitcher or thermos of your favorite beverage (Bud is o.k. but on a cold day something warm like mulled wine or hot chocolate with peppermint schnapps sounds good. For purists, straight shots of any distilled beverage may be substituted.) Go out into your garden and whenever you see a bud, you must take a drink. If you don't have any actual budded plants where you live, you can drink whenever you see a plant that you consider a special friend or bud dy. If you live where everything is so covered in snow that you can't see any plants, just stay inside and drink every time you think of a plant. In just a few sightings, you'll be feeling spring's warmth. It's an amazing thing. When this feeling makes you start to wobble a little, it's a good idea to go back inside so that the neighbors don't think you're completely insane.

17 comments:

  1. With enough effort there are actually a lot of plants out there that provide winter interest and colour. And make for colourful container planting like your first photo :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or with a little less effort, palms, bamboos,hardy succulets and cacti, scheffleras, fatsias, etc. look amazing year round.

      Delete
  2. That just made my day. If I played the bud dy game I'd be sloshed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder how many Phormium will you, Louis, and I purchase this year....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enough to make us embarassed by how much money we spent when they all die.

      Delete
    2. My collection is growing pretty fast again. I think I'm back up to 5.... Who knows how many I'll fall for this year. It will be absurd, that's all I know.

      Delete
  4. Outlaw, the visit to nursery or garden center is a great challenge for the purse and the desire to buy everything!
    It's strange that your car stopped there in parking.:0))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm proud to say that I didn't buy anything this time but I was tempted!
      A mechanic should probably fix my car, it automatically stops at nurseries.

      Delete
  5. I think your car is very well trained. Don't let a mechanic anywhere near it! It is important to let the neighbors know you're crazy early on (weeds out the intolerant element).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ricki, you are so wise! Will you be my life coach?

      Delete
  6. I was at Watson's the other day too, and noticed those Phormiums. They made me think of you! I actually went all the way up to Molbak's today, and bought some Hellebores (40% off) and a couple of Heucheras (50% off). I know I said I wouldn't. But...but...but...they were beautiful. And cheap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the Molbak's email with Hellebore sale but didn't notice the Heucheras. "They were beautiful and cheap" is right up there with I was drunk, it meant nothing. Of course I'll forgive you, after all I understand the addiction but is Nigel going to be o.k. with this? Do be careful out there or you may soon find yourself buying marigolds and petunias (a.k.a. hitting rock bottom)

      Delete
  7. Let's see, I have three comments. First, thank you for the tour, it was a nice pick-me-up. Second, that jade plant - wow! And third, so this bud game basically involves drinking while looking at plants? Sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're more than welcome. I know right? Yes, you've grasped the game! Purists would say that the game should only be played on Bud Day which should precede Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day by say 5 days. How about the tenth of every month? We'll all venture out to our gardens, beverage in hand and whenever we spy a bud, we'll quaff with gusto! The trick will be not to stagger into the budded plants so we'll still have something for GBBloomD.Picture taking is optional. For those living in very cold climates, seed catalogs could be substituted for actual garden strolls.

      Delete
  8. I could opt to drink every time I think about a living somewhere where nurseries are open in the winter. Since we're about to enter into a typical January deep freeze, I'm going to opt to just drink.

    Love those containers-especially the first one with the Cyclamen.

    TGIF!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or you could simply move out west where we can garden all the time but still have a little bit of difference in our seasons. Drinking is probably an eaier solution.

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.