-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, January 21, 2013

Surprise!


Because the road to the freeway access closest to my house will be under construction for a year, I've been taking lots of different routes across town.  It's always fun to stumble across interesting things in one's own back yard and for a few days now I've passed this house.  I had some extra time one day and decided to park and explore this unusual place.

This house is a work in progress and, while I think it's very interesting, I shudder to think of having to repaint every few years.  On the other hand, perhaps the process rather than the product is the point here in the same way as many of us garden to garden rather than to own a garden.
 Quite a few interesting surprises, like this sign, awaited me as I wandered on the sidewalk.

While this cuts down on natural light in the front hall, It surely increases security. 


A Peace Pole, part of an international project, is "a hand crafted pole inscribed with the message "May Peace Prevail On Earth" on  four sides.  These poles act as constant reminders to visualize and pray for world peace." 
 
Fortunately, there are public spaces on  all sides of the house so passersby can easily explore the murals without trespassing. 
 Different interpretations of cranes grace this side of the house.

Another view. 
 Very clever the way the tree in the alley blends with the branch in the mural. 

But wait, there's more!  Behind the house is a lovely garden.
At the back of the garden is a mosaic installation.

I love the way the moss is such an integral part of this work.

 These shots were all taken from the house side.  Because the garden was open, this is all visible from the neighboring parking lot. 
On the alley side of the structure we see what I'm imagining will be another peace pole.
Across the alley there is another house with  large mural
And a peace pole.  Is this passing the peace or simply peacing up with the Jonses?
 Lovely wood sculpture.  Man made or natural?
 
The neighbors also had these lovely ladies who were very friendly and seemed to be quite well fed.
 We chatted for quite a while, these silly gals and I.  There were a few of them but these two seemed more interested in the camera than the others.

Did I mention that this all exists  across from this? 
 
Life in an urban area is full of surprises.  May your day be equally full of delight.

30 comments:

  1. I like the twist of this post! Curious looking property...

    Seriously though you've inspired us to take different routes to our usual destinations, because you just don't know what new and interesting things you may see :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of the more interesting places I've seen in a long time. Happy exploring!

      Delete
  2. I love this quirky sort of stuff. Whenever I drive (which isn't often), I take different routes, just to explore a bit...and it's amazingly just how often I find something that made it worth the while.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are lucky not to have to drive daily! When I walked to school(five miles in the snow uphill both ways) everyday, I noticed a lot more subtle natural daily changes. When you see the same flora up cose each day at walking pace it's much more interesting than passing things at 35 - 70 miles per hour when you kind of notice their shapes and colors.

      Delete
  3. How cute! I love the mosaic in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The mosaic is really interesting. Have a happy Monday Nadezda!

      Delete
  4. Much contrast on one corner. The artwork is beautifully and thoughtfully done. I wonder if it is a community center or gathering place.

    The mosaic is fascinating as well, thanks for posting so many photos so we can enjoy the details.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sort of wondered about it being a community gathering place as the painting on the benches in the garden was done by different people and one was assembled by a group of kids whose names appeared on the back. I didn't have the guts to knock on the door to inquire further.

      Delete
  5. Murals! Mosaics! Chickens! What a great neighborhood! Hey, even the Bauhaus-like condos across the way have a big bright metal sculpture in front.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tacoma has a glut of similar looking condos all over town but the metal sculpture in front of these sets them apart. This town is full of little areas of character. And big areas of blah.

      Delete
  6. Some talented person is still living in the 60s. Is it a residence? With the exception of the artwork it almost appears abandoned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly where my mind went. Unfortunately, the octagon-shaped stained glass window was not lit from inside but it might just have been a zodiac wheel. There was smoke coming out of the chimney. Don't think it was abandoned.

      Delete
  7. Wow! Your city has totally different houses quite near each others. Funny. There's lot to see..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Excellent post. What a fun place to explore. Makes the detour entirely worth it, doesn't it? Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lot of fun to explore as there was something interesting to see around every corner.

      Delete
  9. I don't know what to say, except Extremely Unique. I guess it would be interesting to see what they painted next. The artwork is very good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the front of the house is begging for ornamentation like what the sides already have. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens next.

      Delete
  10. If they would just clean up their front porch and finish painting the trim around the front door it would look free-er from nuclear weapons. The chickens sure are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that a lot of the stuff on the front porch is part of the protection for when the painting happens. The front of the house seems to have been left for last but I'll bet they finish the trim one of these days when the weather warms up again. Unless those nuclear warheads go off before then.

      Delete
  11. I love the murals, some real artistry in your neck of the woods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The murals are lovely and since they're visable from the street, everyone gets to enjoy them.

      Delete
  12. Wow. I love the nuclear free zone sign. I really appreciate the enthusiasm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is plenty of enthusiasm around that place.

      Delete
  13. I always mourned the fact that I was too young to be a Beatnik and too old to be a Hippie. Maybe there's hope yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never too late to go through that beaded doorway!

      Delete
  14. Looks like someone's an artist! Thanks for showing the pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.