-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, January 3, 2013

On the tenth day of Christmas - Sometimes a Fantasy.

No, not the Billy Joel song but rather Fantasy Lights in Spanaway Park about which you can read more here.  Begun in 1994, this two and a half mile dirve through light display has become a tradition for many.  We hadn't gone for years and since it was on our way home from my Sister's place, we decided to stop by after our Christmas celebration at her house.  Hop in the back seat and join us.  Hope you don't mind, we were listening to the classical station's broadcast of "A Chanticleer Christmas."  You may be familliar with one of their biggest holiday hits, a setting of the Annunciation and Ave Maria texts by German composer Franz Biebl.  It's a perennial favorite with both mens and mixed choirs.  Here's a video if you'd like to listen while we drive:
Don't forget to turn off your headlights!  While there were a lot of folks at the park, no one seemed to be in a hurry & lots of folks stopped to take pictures.  One must remain inside the vehicle at all times!


For those of you whose fantasies more closely resemble those of Alfred Hitchcock or David Lynch, there's something at Fantasy Lights for you too!



One more example of Santa's 24 hour surveillance capability.  He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake.  So is Santa Big Brother or simply a bit of a voyeur?  Either way, I feel a little freaked out right now.



When what to my wondering eyes should appear but a U.F.O. complete with animated aliens.  AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH.  I'm scared.


I know, I'll grab my teddy bear for comfort.  EEEEK, somebody ripped teddy's arms off,  he's red with blood and 20 feet tall.  HELP ME!

The trees seem to be glowing.  Is that some sort of radioactive residue left by the aliens?  Have I been breathing too much of the exhaust from all the traffic in front of us? 


Peacock or weapon of mass distruction?  Nothing seems clear to me anymore.

Some sort of throwning stars? 

Watch out!  Close the sun roof!  A bunch of them  seem to be falling from the sky!


From all sides, these huge scary hooks seem to be reaching out to grab passersby.  No wonder they warn you to stay in your vehicle at all times!

I just know that when we drive under this pleasant looking arch, it'll tighten around the car and crush us all!

Sure, this is what they SAY!

Hope you enjoyed our little trip to Fantasy Lights, a subsidary of Westworld where nothing can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong.  If you're ever in the Spanaway area, Fantasy lights is waiting for you!  Bwahaha.

12 comments:

  1. Whew! We survived thanks to your expert guidance.

    I enjoyed your Mst3K version of the lights. Thanks for taking us along on your most excellent adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always trying to assist the unwary through the hidden traps of the holidays! Glad you made it through!

      Delete
  2. LOL! What fun! Your narration was a hit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Always fun to survive the horrors of the holidays! I thought of your gorgeous pictures this morning when I went out and saw all the beautiful frost covering everything. Unfortunately, I was running late & couldn't capture any images so I'm glad we have yours to enjoy!

      Delete
  3. I love the santa ship!! I wonder if he pirates all his toys. Maybe that's his trick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Santa's a creepy old guy who enslaves people, forcing them to wear silly curly shoes, weird hats, and work their fingers to the bone in his "workshop." And now this pirate thing... No wonder so many children cry when their parents try to get a picture of them on Santa's lap. I used to be a fan but someone must have been watching a little too closely this year because I got a big lump of coal in my stocking. On the bright side, the coal matches my cold black little heart so perhaps I shouldn't complain:)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous lights and music. Chanticleer is one of my favorites. I had the pleasure several years ago of seeing them live in NYC. Amazing voices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I love choral music, especially unaccompanied pieces & Chanticleer is pretty amazing. You are very lucky to have heard them in person in NYC. Great group/great city!

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! I’ve nominated you for the Liebster Blog Award. For the rules andmy 11 questions, please visit the post http://nittygrittydirtman.wordpress.com/2013/01/03/and-the-liebst…-award-goes-to/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link love! I'll have to start thinking (can you hear the groan of the rusty gears?) about your questions & post soon.

      Delete
  6. I should be embarrassed to admit that I have something similiar to this pretty much within walking distance to my house and I haven't been in about 15 years. Maybe next year.

    As someone who takes pictures exclusively on the automatic camera setting I'm impressed by your night shots. Maybe one of my New Year's resolutions (if I were to make one) should have been to take a photography class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Truth be told most of these were taken on the automatic setting. Most of those buttons and dials on the camera are just ornamental anyway, right? Happy New Year!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.