-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Saturday, January 5, 2013

On the twelfth day of Christmas - a touch of glass

Today is the last day of Christmas and tonight is Twelfth Night, the eve of Epiphany. I hope your Christmas season was full of all the things you love! One of the things I love is playing with glass and admiring the work of others. At the Northwest Flower And Garden Show last year, I saw some beautiful work by the artist Kristin Simpson. I wasn't blogging at the time and had forgotten my camera but Kristin has graciously granted me permission to use her images for this entry. Her flowers are lovely and incorporate fusing and torch work (beads.)























It's difficult to choose a favorite!   One of the impressive things about Kristin is her willingness to share her process with others.  I hope these inspire you to start glass fusing yourself and/or to buy  some of Kristin's work. To see more beautiful flowers and also some of her cool jewelry creations, visit www.kristinsimpsondesign.com .

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful glass work, those are gorgeous additions to the garden.

    We have a glass studio in the neighborhood and I've checked them out a couple of times but never signed up. This would be a fun project.

    The twelve days went fast, I enjoyed the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you'd love working with glass!
      The twelve days did go fast and got kind of random but it was fun. Glad you were celebrating with me!

      Delete
  2. Awesome glass flowers! I wish I could make something of glass...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin does beautiful work! Your artistic talent would allow you to make wonderful glass objects - It's just a matter of learning how the material works.

      Delete
  3. These are so colorful and different! I hope she has a booth at the show again, I'd like to check them out. Speaking of which, what day are you going? We could check out the show together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kristin's studio is in Kirkland and you could probably make an appointment to se her work anytime. I haven't looked at the show schedule yet but it would be fun to see the show together!

      Delete
  4. Happy last day of Christmas! And don't forget to take down the rest of your Christmas decorations :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the reminder! Since I didn't host our November Thanksgiving holiday, nothing has been changed from summer. This will be the easiest Christmas clean up ever!

      Delete
  5. I love those!!! I'm going to see if they can be ordered on-line.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Answer: you can't. She only does original pieces, you can't get a copy. She does have a nice website, kristinsimpsondesign.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rats! Would she email pictures of what she has in her studio so you could select one?

      Delete
  7. Beats twelve drummers drumming if you ask me. Happy Twelfth Day of Christmas Peter!

    I saw some cool glass stuff at Dancing Oaks and Dragonfly Farms when I was out your way this summer but nothing as nice as these. Talented people seem to congregate on the west coast :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The west coast has been a hotbed of the glass renaissance started in 1960's San Francisco when the bohemian set (We used to call these folks hippies. Is that an acceptable term still?) living in Victorian homes decided that they wanted to learn how to repair their own stained glass windows. (Oh, the colors-) The pacific northwest is home to several of the world's largest glass manufacturers. Spectrum and Fremont are in the Seattle area; Bullseye and Uroborous in Portland. Then there's the whole hot glass (glass blowing) thing. Folks now instantly think of the guy with the eye patch with the big name from Tacoma but there are a LOT of fabulous glass blowers in the area.

      Happy Twelfth Night and a joyous Epiphany!

      Delete
  8. Oh, those are neat!
    My husband visited the glass museum in Tacoma a couple of years ago and brought back some cool photos. Looks like a great place!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should visit the pacific northwest again, you might even decide to move here!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.