-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Wednesday Vignette - Will There Really Be a Morning?


As the nights lengthen, seeing the sunrise in the garden during the weekend becomes dear, especially when there's a clear sky.  Occasionally, sitting in November darkness, one wonders if there will be a morning.

Will there really be a "Morning"?
Is there such a thing as "Day"?
Could I see it from the mountains
If I were as tall as they?

Has it feet like Water lilies?
Has it feathers like a Bird?
Is it brought from famous countries
Of which I have never heard?

Oh some Scholar! Oh some Sailor!
Oh some Wise Men from the skies!
Please to tell a little Pilgrim
Where the place called "Morning" lies!

               Emily Dickenson

Here's Craig Hella Johnson singing his setting of the poem.

As Dolly Parton assures us, "I can see the light of a clear blue morning, I can see the light of a brand new day, and everything's gonna be alright, It's gonna be okay."

As communities begin the process of rebuilding after wildfires and hurricanes, let's cling to  that vision of a clear blue morning, a new beginning.

Mr. Hella Johnson directing his arrangement of A Clear Blue Morning.
  
Wednesday Vignette is hosted by Anna at Flutter and Hum.  Click here to join the single image party. 

9 comments:

  1. As I got up this morning and peeked out the window, a similar thought crossed my mind: will there be light out soon? It's almost 7:00 for Pete's sake!
    Your Mahonia is blooming it's head off: I call it sunshine substitute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely and one of Emily D's that is new to me. Your Mahonias look like trees!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mahonia blooms add that bright spot. A comparison of daylight hours shows your winter days are quite a bit shorter than ours. Your summer days are longer which is a good thing. Enjoy those weekend mornings. Just another month and your days will get longer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very uplifting songs, they brought a tear to my eye. Thanks for sharing them. Emily is one of those oddball poets who has always been dear to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Emily did have a way with words. I hope your days brighten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That first photo is strikingly beautiful
    This song came to my mind:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KClpLzFftU
    There's Got to be a Morning After.
    Thanks for this beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That first photo is glorious, and altogether deserving of poetic and musical accompaniment.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Morning is my favorite. I know right where it is. In the garden.

    Your post brightened my evening. Morning took care of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa - that shot with the Mahonia... just WOW! I totally spaced on which day of the week it was... Sorry, not a very good hostess!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.