-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, November 12, 2018

In a (Not) Vase on Monday

To celebrate five years of In a Vase on Monday, Cathy, our fabulous host, issued a challenge to use anything besides a vase as a container this week.  Yesterday was  Armistice Day/Remembrance Day/Veteran's Day.  This year marked the one hundredth anniversary of the signing of the armistice signed between the allies of World War One and Germany, ending the first world war at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.  In the U.S. it is a day to thank all veterans for their service to our country.

For the first of today's offerings I chose a horn made by a veteran of World War II, my father, who seemed happiest when he was making things.


Perhaps I inherited my love of the shape of oak leaves and acorns from my father.  


It seemed only fitting to use oak leaves and acorns foraged from the park nearby. 

When he was 17 years old, my father made these hearts for my mother (one with her first initial and the other with his)  before he shipped out.  I think that he wore one on a chain around his neck and she kept hers until they were reunited.  They lived for years, tied together by a now deteriorated string, in my mother's jewelry box.  My father didn't talk much about the war but was very proud of the Nazi flag that he ripped down from a flagpole in an occupied country.  It was kept stored away for many years and when my mother died, none of us wanted to keep the flag or have it to fall into the wrong hands.  It took some time but my niece found a museum  that would take it.

My dad's pocket watch was added  and I tried to set it to 11:00 in honor of the day but couldn't figure out how to do it.  It obviously stopped at 7:08 but when?  Some things are forgotten over time but others must be remembered: The horror of war, those who have served, those who have paid the ultimate price for freedom.

To all of the families who have and continue to sacrifice on behalf of the ideals of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness, I offer my heartfelt gratitude.  May there come a day when the world truly "shall beat their swords into ploughshares, and their spears into pruning hooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."


In honor of Cathy's fifth anniversary of IaVoM,  I wanted to do something a bit different and thought of this black box that my father gave my mother many years ago.  It's faux Argillite and, although it wasn't really her style, it sat on her dresser, containing some of her jewelry, until her death.


Because Cathy is a gem, it's fitting that this celebratory assemblage should contain some of autumn's jewels along with thanks and congratulations on five years and a wish for many more!   A walk in the park and through my garden yielded quite a bounty, only a fraction of which got used.  Arbutus unedo fruit.

A brooch of maple leaves, acorns and a fatsia flower.

Gingko leaf "flower."

Phytolacca americana "earrings."

Spruce cones, acorns, and arbutus fruit brooch.   The pearls are strung Arbutus unedo flowers.  Center top is a spray of dried Stachyurus praecox blooms left from last winter.

I was going to create more jewelry-like items for a more literal interpretation of jewelry box but decided that I liked this just the way it was (lazy.)  Other contents are oak leaves, a dried seed head of Angelica stricta 'Purpurea,' acorn caps from an oak in the park that drops the caps in little adorable bunches on stems, Callicarpa americana, and iris foetidissima berries (foraged from last week's arrangement.)  For more In a (not) Vase on Monday offerings, click over to Cathy's blog!

Also named Kathy  is the middle of my three sisters whose heart and breathing stopped this week.  I'm truly grateful for the emergency medical technicians who were able to resuscitate her, that she is recovering in hospital, and will make a full recovery after a procedure.


36 comments:

  1. What a fabulous post Peter. You obviously come from a creative family. Your father's carved horn is beautiful. I love the idea of natural 'jewels' spilling out of the box and how beautifully you have done it. Love the gems arranged for Cathy too. She is indeed a 'gem'.
    Glad to hear that your sister is recovering, what a worry for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chloris. My sister came through surgery today and is feeling fairly well.

      Delete
  2. Practically made me cry with your two arrangements. That horn is beautiful; is it ceramic? And the hearts . . . swoon. My dad and his brothers were all in the Navy in the Pacific in WWII. Hard to believe that one hundred years laters, nationalism would rear its ugly head and that we would have a President who is a disgrace and disgraced our country at the Remembrance Day yesterday in Europe. You always have interesting IVOM displays but you really outdid yourself today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always a sad day of remembrance. It's a carved animal horn. It could be from a domestic bull. It doesn't look to have the right twist to be from a Dall Sheep and it's too large for a mountain goat.

      Delete
  3. The first half of this post is amazing -- I wish we had family "treasures" like that!

    The second half makes me hungry for some reason. How exactly did you prevent the pokeweed berries from staining everything? (Maybe that's the reason for the purple cloth!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of us kids have some family treasures as our parents enjoyed collecting and making things. They were both born just before the depression and were very poor when they started their life together so very little ever got thrown away. (We'll blame them for my own hoard o' crap.) There are lots of things that look like they'd be good to eat in the second part and would be quite tasty if you were a bird. The pokeweed berries don't stain things unless they're lightly squeezed or are very ripe. These were still pretty firm.

      Delete
  4. Love your arrangements. It is wonderful that you used something your Mother loved in your design. I will keep your sister in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the arrangements CINdEa. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers. My sister came out of surgery earlier today and is doing quite well.

      Delete
  5. This post packs quite the emotional roller-coaster. I'm so glad your sister is going to be okay. Your arrangement in tribute to your father and Veterans is gorgeous and moving. And your jewel box for IAVOM's Kathy is AMAZING. Lazy, you? Ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words. Kathy is doing very well and, with the exception of a couple of broken ribs and sternum (CPR and using the paddles three times to revive her) she's fine. Expected to make a full recovery.

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear about your sister's heart attack, but so glad the EMTs were able to help, thank heavens for their skill and expertise. Your father's carved horn is a wonderful family treasure. We have several handmade things from Nigel's mom and dad too, they were always making stuff, and like you and your family, were very fond of oak leaves and acorns. I have a hard time with the "lazy" moniker you keep slapping on yourself too, given all the work that went into putting that beautiful jewel box together. Do you have today off? Looks like it might be a nice day for a little gardening if you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like I could get so much more done if this silly body didn't insist on sleeping so often. (Also, I watch too much T.V. when I should be reading the stacks of books gathering dust all over the place.) At this point, putting Monday vases together has become a habit and putting them together is a Sunday afternoon treat. We were very fortunate that my brother in law was home at the time and was able to call for help and that the help that came had such skill!

      Delete
  7. You have outdone yourself this week, Peter. Your father's horn is a thing of great beauty and your arrangement compliments it well, and your 'jewelry' creations spilling out of the box are stupendous!
    So glad that your sister is recovering - a scary thing to have to go through. Thanks for our medical personnel expertise that aids so many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Eliza, putting these together was a good diversion from worry. We are very lucky to live in a time and place where medical professionals are able and available to perform such wonders.

      Delete
  8. You are so inventive but really I think you should have modelled some of the jewellery! It all looks fabulous against the purple. A roller coaster indeed, wishing you and your family well. I also wish I could see peace happening anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Alison, I wouldn't want to break my camera by appearing in front of the lens:) Thanks for the well wish and for sharing the hope for peace.

      Delete
  9. Gosh, what a poignant post through and through, Peter, on so many different levels. You have a magic touch for IAVOM and I love all your ideas and artistic flair. Thanks as always for your contribution

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cathy, for inspiring all of us to create something every week. Your meme has encouraged me to use a lot of the junk lying about the house and therefore enjoy it more. Before your meme, I seldom cut anything from the garden to bring in but now truly enjoy doing so.

      Delete
  10. Not one but two incredible arrangements! "Arrangement" seems the wrong word in this instance - they're more like memories, love, and devotion wrapped up in natural materials and artistic artifacts. Is there a word that encompasses that? Thanks for sharing not only your creations but a little family history and evidence of the love your parents shared.

    Best wishes for your sister's recovery too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind. I just plop things into receptacles and hope...
      Thanks for the wishes for my sister! Latest report is that she's doing well.

      Delete
  11. A wonderful and touching post. I'm sending out warm wishes for your sister's quick and full recovery. The horn you father carved is gorgeous and explains your own creative talents. Both displays are outstanding and I love the use of foraged goodness. Such a bounty this time of year, if one knows where to look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the healing wishes for my sister and for the kind words about my not vases. I don't know where my dad got the idea of creating this horn but I remember him making it and looking for a metal mouthpiece. It resembles a shofar but am not sure if that was his inspiration. The mouthpiece is a bit large for the size of the horn so it doesn't sound as beautiful/powerful as the shofars I've heard. You're right, this is a time of great bounty!

      Delete
  12. Peter, remarkable post. The horn and hearts, John Denver's Peace Poem, the box of nature's jewels--all so interesting and resonate today. Happy IAVOM.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susie! It was fun putting this together and sharing it.

      Delete
  13. What a wonderful tribute. Thank you for sharing your memories, and your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  14. Oh Peter your tribute to your dad is wonderful and I love the box filled with autumn's gems....I can see who you inherited your artistic flair from....your dad was gifted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Donna. I don't think I really appreciated my dad's creativity when I was growing up but as an adult, I'm so glad to have these things he made.

      Delete
  15. Oh, Peter, these creations are both so beautiful and so meaningful.
    Hoping your sister will soon recover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda. My sister seems to be doing much better now. It's fun to play with things that my parents made.

      Delete
  16. Oh my goodness, abundantly, poignantly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your jewellery box is absolutely gorgeous! Now that really is a celebratory arrangement. Stunning. The horn made by your father, and the thoughts and words around it make this post quite remarkable. Best wishes to your sister.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Amazing post, Peter! Beautiful tributes to your family heirlooms and the sacrifices and sentiments behind each item. I'm so glad your sister is doing well. You are a true artist, the arrangements are stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  19. A wonderful post...thanks for sharing your family memories. The jewel box and horn point to a wonderful man, your love for your parents and sister shines through. The jewelry you made is stunning....diamonds may be a girl's best friend and last forever...but the ones you made up are pure art. Hope your sister continues well with her convalescence.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So glad I took time to come back and see your luscious arrangements again. They remind me of Harvest Festival - just lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.