-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, October 19, 2018

Crawling Around My Garden One Day after Work

I love the sights and smells of my autumn garden but only get to enjoy them briefly before and after work.  We've had some nice warm dry days recently making the dashes outside to do a few garden tasks especially nice.  Come along and let's see what's happening out there.

Maturing spiders seem to be making webs everywhere. Who needs Halloween decorations when you've got these?





On to other things.  The persimmon tree has produced heavily again this year.

I hope the squirrels leave a few for me. 

 Cholla displaying it's fall foliage.

Beautiful golden light as the sun retreats for the year. 

Poncirus trifoliata

 Iris foetidissima

Pokeweed

Abelia × grandiflora 'Kaleidoscope'

Euonymus europaeus 'Red Ace'

Mahonia 'Soft Caress'

Impatiens glandulifera.  

Callicarpa


Euonymus something or other

I'm officially in love with this variegated dogwood.  Beautiful foliage in spring and summer, summer flowers, and now this swell autumn show.


Nothing beats the Acers for fall color.


Wow, this Roscoe is certainly going out with a bang!  

The Linden's falling leaves are everywhere at the moment.  

Happy weekend all and thanks for sharing an after work dash out to the garden with me.  I'm looking forward to retirement in a few years and having much more leisurely autumns.

16 comments:

  1. So now I read your post after responding to your comment on mine. I see that, yes, you have orb weavers. And you have persimmons. Mine is an alternate bearer and this year the birds got most all of the small crop. This is a lovely post, so many beautiful things. Neat title, I took it as you crawling around, not the spider first time I read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great spider photos, and that dogwood is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great spider pics, but, I do NOT like spiders. I know the good ones though, eat bugs.

    You have some wonderful fall beauty in your gardens.

    Happy Fall ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  4. The spiders are relentless this season...good idea to have something to wave in front of your face while touring the garden. Lots there for you to enjoy over the weekend (maybe the last of the fabulous weather we have been having.)
    rickii

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is still a lot of beauty in your garden. I decided not to clean the webs off of the front hand rail because people pay for webs they stretch out just like what the spiders do. That's my story...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I always marvel at the way you can be farther north and grow more tender plants, thanks I suppose to Puget Sound's influence. I wish I could grow persimmons successfully. I do have a native one that if it ever gets big enough could have fruit. You have so many gorgeous colorful berries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The autumn views of your garden are wonderful and I especially love your Callicarpa and Variegated Dogwood. I also enjoyed your play on words with the title of your post the awesome captures of the spiders. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All those spiders are keeping your garden pest-free. I find orb weavers fascinating, they are so huge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun to get up close and personal with your own garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice shots of the spiders, although they do creep me out. I'm glad we're getting this nice weather so that you're at least not getting drenched when you go out before and after work. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The spiders are crazy big this year! Isn’t is wonderful to enjoy the colors of the season with sunshine?

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's something for everybody in this post I think and it's a great survey of both the challenges (spiders!) and joys of the fall season (everything other than spiders). I love all that fall color, especially as we see precious little of that in these parts.

    ReplyDelete
  13. A leisurely autumn sounds devine! I'm in the same boat as you with only brief moments to interact with the garden during the beautiful time of year. I love the spiders and I agree..Acer's provide incredible color in autumn. I've got a list a mile long of ones I want to put in the garden but only have room for 1 or 2 more. sigh!! Happy October!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You purposefully grow pokeweed? And it doesn't take over? I grow dozens of these tap-rooted lovelies, and they're harder to control than bamboo (well, almost)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous fall fruits! And the Dogwood foliage is pretty nice as well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for growing Impatiens glandulifera. It's such a controversial plant but the bumblebees love it and therefore so do I.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.