-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Spring at Flower World; A Sight for Winter-Weary Eyes!


Flower World is a seriously large nursery in Matlby, Washington.  See previous posts here. On one of those pouring down rain Saturdays that we've been having recently, we paid a visit.

As you can imagine, with 15 acres of nursery, there was a lot to see.  Instead of exploring one area at a time, I allowed my eye to be pulled in a random fashion all over the place going outside when it sounded like the rain died down a little and then back inside as the next curtain of rain blew in.



Look at those happy phormium!

The sight of blooming brugmansias in March made my heart race.  The temptation to take one home was great but since there are a couple in the basement that need to come out for the summer soon, I decided to leave these here.

Clematis macropetala 'Jan Lindmark'

Had to visit Cordyline 'Miss Andrea'  

Strolling through  the houseplant section of Flower World is like visiting a conservatory except that here, one can buy the plants on display.  Heaven!

Clerodendrum thomsonae

These unmarked and very colorful Cryptanthus were another huge temptation!


It's summer in this place!



Hybiscus 'Red Hot' has gorgeous foliage!

Does this camellia japonica look a little like a hibiscus to you? 


Little Miss Muffet has left her tuffet behind! 

The 1980's just called and somewhere there's a  Patrick Nagel print that needs this vase back!


This guy looks concerned. 
 
 
 While this little fellow just looks hungry.

Calathea zebrina

Calathea somethingelse


Stromanthe sanguinea 'Triostar' (One of these found its way into my cart.)



I'd like one of everything please, and a place to put them all!
 

One of several turtles who live in the ponds in the tropical plant area.

What would it be like to live in the tropics?  Not sure but you can experience what it might be like to sit in the tropics for a little while.


Love this green wall! 
Aphelandra Squarrosa 'Louisae' or White Zebra Plant.

The Zebra Plant that we're more accustomed to seeing.

They don't do anything in a small way at Flower World.  What a fun easter display.

King Sago Palm,  Cycad revoluta is HUGE and had a price to match!



They even had pineapples!

It's really spring when the Japanese maples start leafing out!
 

Abagail is concerned as she finds herself lost in a sea of hesperaloe.


Prunus 'Accolade' bedecked with rain drop jewels.  They take a while to glue on but they sure do make the flowers look fresh.



Hostas popping up.  What an exciting time of year!

Primula 'Victorian Lace'


It was too wet out in tulip land to take any names but they sure are purty!

 
 
The foliage of Fritillaria imperalis has convinced me to order this for next year when the bulb catalogs start arriving!
 

Forsythia is so gorgeous this time of year and I love seeing it in other people's gardens!



Here's a happy customer boxing up her haul. 


On the grounds of Flower World (across the street, up by the intersection where you turn  just before the entrance, is their produce stand that sells fresh, locally organically grown products. One of my favorites, which is also available at the nursery itself is this fresh local non-pasteurized cider.  If your experience of apple cider is limited to grocery store offerings, prepare to have your socks knocked off!  This stuff alone is worth the drive!


Hope you enjoyed this random spin through Flower World!   


25 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the apple cider, sounds yummy! Not only did it transport you into summer, it also sent you to the tropics! That enormous Sago palm was there back in January when Nigel and I went. I love that little spot with the bistro table and the little pond with turtles. Happy to see all those Hesperaloes, but Flower World still isn't exactly local, it's more than an hour's drive, and up 405 too, which is a lot of no fun. Do you think Jungle Fever will have some?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jungle fever usually gets some in but I didn't notice any there last time I visited. Tacoma Boys has had them in years past as have several other more local nurseries. Do you want me to snag you some next time I see them?

      Delete
    2. Yes please! Two at least. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. I like it when a nursery finds a place to keep animals, a turtles in this case. I've seen cats, chickens and gold fish in others. Truthfully, it makes me want to move in. The massive rain keeps me inside, but when I do go out I find that slugs were hared at work. I had to sprinkle slug bait around my emerging Hostas and especially Ligularia Othello: their favorite but also mine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those darned slugs! GRRR! Flower World also has all kinds of fowl, goats, sheep, and other critters on part of the place. You could really spend a whole day here exploring, having lunch on the lawn, etc.

      Delete
  3. Oh I need a couple of those phormium. There are two spots where I'm itching to replace those lost to winter and can't find any (yet) locally. Patience patience patience...

    (re: the vase comment, exactly!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking that buying Phormium at a box store that offers a full year guarantee might be a good thing to do, save the receipt and get free replacements every year.

      Delete
  4. About ten years ago I passed up a Clerodendrum thomsonae and have not found one since. Sigh.

    I can tell you how it feels to live in the subtropics. One day you're shivering and the next day -- summer is here! This fall I'll take BIG Brug cuttings. I hate to wait for them to put on buds in the spring coming back from roots..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you like me to throw one of these in a box and send it to you?

      It never gets warm early enough for our brugs to gain sufficient size to bloom before frost cuts them down again so mine either get stored dormant in the basement or are kept green in my little glass room.

      Delete
    2. You are too kind to offer, but I expect that now that I've thought of them again I could go looking and one would turn up. They're not that rare that one needs to travel 3000 miles from there to here. Thank you so much for thinking of that possibility, though.

      Delete
  5. The difference of plants grown under glass, how advanced they are. If it's only possible to cover them entire garden like that during winter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Three acres of this place are covered with huge greenhouses that are open to the public. There is a production area just as large. Pretty cool. Three acres is enough to fit my house and a huge garden so we should move there.

      Delete
  6. Looks like a great place. The nice thing about these rainy weekends is that we can go out and about without being torn by the call of the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does take a bit of the guilt away! I've got another field trip planned for this coming Saturday!

      Delete
  7. Wow! Lot's of gorgeous photos. It's a tropical paradise, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Linda. I always enjoy visiting Flower World!

      Delete
  8. Impressive! How in the world do they get everything to bloom all at once! Forsythia, hibiscus, and brugmansias all blooming at the same time - I think you just had a visit to heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What is that guy with the beard so worried about? He's making me anxious. The prunus is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The economy? Maybe it's the ocean as the piece is called "Old Man of the Sea." Maybe he fears that the ocean winds will give him split ends.

      Delete
  10. Nice trip. Looks like fun. Too bad it had to rain but you made the most of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't so much mind the rain as it gives me an excuse to take day trips on Saturdays.

      Delete
  11. So summery!!! I love the palms, naturally. But that is a sea of yellow flowering hesperaloe!! awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good place to visit! I didn't know that there is also a yellow and pink gumamela. (I dont know what's the international name for it) hehe

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.