-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Port Townsend Secret Revealed!

After spending a fun day visiting some nurseries on the Kitsap Peninsula (A talk by Dan Hinkley and shopping at Valley Nursery, Dragonfly Farms, and Far Reaches Farm - posts to follow) we had a delicious meal at The Public House Grill to which Alison had introduced me last summer. Following this we drove and walked around town a bit enjoying the old buildings and nice gardens.  I've often wondered how they all kept their lawns looking so good.  Wouldn't you know, they have a large staff that comes in every day at dusk to tidy things up. 


You can tell who the tourists are in this town.  They're the ones who stop the car, get out and take pictures of the garden staff at work.  this lawn mowing and edging team worked away, totally ignoring me.



Until I dropped my lens cap and it made a little noise on the road.  Funny, the car door slam didn't faze them at all.

Must be quite a few of these work crews as just up the street we there was a group of three working on this lawn.


Here's their response to an ambulance, fire truck and a couple of other emergency vehicles speeding buy sirens blaring so loud that I had to cover my ears.

So now you know how the gardens here always look so well groomed, they have a staff!    Now if I could get them to come to my garden and haul away the huge piles of bamboo and other plants that have been getting long-overdue haircuts, I'd have it made!

25 comments:

  1. Aw, aren't they cute? At least all they're eating is grass. Did you see signs of any other plants that they've destroyed or eaten down to the nub? Sounds like you had a really fun day. Was the talk by Dan Hinkley entertaining? I was thinking of going to that, but just got too comfortable in my PJs that day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PJs sound very nice! We did have fun and I thought of you when we ate at the Public House! (well, all day...What would Alison say or buy?) Dan Hinkley is always entertaining and has an enviable knowledge of plants. If you know his favorite plants and the Monrovia "Dan Hinkley" collection, you know the talk.

      Delete
    2. Surely you know that I would buy whatever you told me I needed. LOL

      Delete
  2. Lordy, I am so happy to not have a staff like that here!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been very lucky that way too although I've seen deer just a few blocks away down by Stadium High School so...

      Delete
  3. The only thing is that those kind of staff do not discriminate either, if it's green and leafy then it must be tasty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pity, they could be such a help. There were lots of deer resistant plants like berberis growing around. Probably not a lot of hostas being grown in those unfenced gardens.

      Delete
  4. Wow! With a staff like that........!
    Great photos, by the way.
    I wonder if I might hire some of their relatives? I've been trying to figure out how to maintain my yard and beds while recuperating from hip replacement. This just MIGHT be my answer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, the pictures were easy as these deer let me get very close and didn't seem to care that I was there at all. The best part - this staff is totally free. I think it's a service that the town provides or something. Perhaps you should call your city hall and see if a similar program exists where you live. Here's to a speedy recovery!

      Delete
  5. They make better entertainers than groundsmen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I would like to live out in the country on some acreage where I could plant trees and garden beneath towering cedars and firs (perfectly placed a hundred years ago to allow light to penetrate to the forest floor.) but when I think of the damage that our deer friends can do to gardens, I reconsider.

      Delete
  6. They are cute! I´ve got almost that kind of staff in my garden: goats. But they don´t eat what I want them to eat and they do eat what I don´t want them to eat, hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Silly goats! I wonder if they could be convinced to alter their diet to meet our garden desires. Today I've been hacking away at a clump of bamboo and wishing that a panda or two might drop in for a bit to take care of it for me.

      Delete
  7. Ay yi yi, I would have one big a** fence if I lived on that street !

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is great.
    I bet the neighborhood decided to limit their gardens to deer resistance plants in return for free lawn service. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you think that they still have to mow to keep things looking uniform?

      Delete
  9. Are they not beautiful, they sure do a good job with the lawns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! You're back! I've missed hearing about the garden that Ben lets you tend for him and your travels in your gorgeous part of the world!

      Delete
    2. Yes, Ben does that well. He is becoming a bit more obedient when told to GET OUT OF THE GARDEN! But otherwise he shows no respect for plants whatsoever and tramples them. I have missed my blogging mates and reading your wonderful posts.

      Delete
  10. How fantastic, having the grass cut for free, amazing that they weren't spooked by the traffic but reacted to your lens cap! We occasionally see deer on the field next door and once found their footprints in the snow on the drive, but no damage was done thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw the amazing friendly grass-eating deer in Port Townsend whern we were there for a Kinetic Sculpture race, I need to get some to replace my deer. My deer haven't gotten the news that grass is yummy and other plants are not. I have fences everywhere around all my major gardening beds. They love roses, squash, beans, raspberries, apple trees and fruit, grapevines, and a couple of years ago mysteriously ate all my Trillium clumps. There are some things I don't have to protect though, they don't eat bamboo, which has cyanide.

    I'm looking forward to the Hortlandia sale Saturday in Portland, that will be fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Hannah, Alison and I will be there too. I hope we run into you (figuratively!)Sorry that your deer are not as well behaved as Pauline's are!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.