-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, April 24, 2014

Choices, Choices


You may remember reading about this vase that I saw at Molbak's nursery and allowed to ride in my cart for a while but ultimately left at the nursery.   

A couple of weeks ago, on the day after the Hortlandia field trip, I remembered that I had to go to Molbak's because I was responsible for getting a certain plant for a coworker for her birthday and there are only two nurseries in western Washington where I've seen Aglaonema 'Lady Valentine' (Images here) and Molbaks is one of them.  Rats!  I didn't want to go, I had to.  I even left my camera home thinking that I'd just zip up and back. Of course, there were lots more plants to love that had arrived since the last time I visited a few weeks ago.  So much for the zipping in and out.
The fact that this vase was still there was just  an added bonus.    However, when I got back to the area where the vase was, she had  brought along her little brother. 
 I loved the tall elegance of the first vase but the glaze color on little brother was stunning and the flared shape that resembled a flower was pretty special.
After a long deliberation (wish I had taken pictures of them side by side...) and the helpful sales person talking about what color I have in the room (Do you know me? One color? I decorate like I garden - just keep throwing things in and it's bound to make me happy) I decided on little brother.  Besides, I have lots more plants around that would work in a squat planter than I have tall elegant cut flowers. (I'm thinking callas would look grand in the tall vase.)  

Because I used a flash, the glaucous leaf surface that makes them very much resemble the color of the jardiniere.  (What I'm calling it now because "short squatty version of the elegant vase I saw at Molbak's" doesn't roll off the tongue quite so nicely.) 
So, which do you prefer, the tall elegant one, or the shorter, flared version?  Should one have both to fully appreciate the differences?  

26 comments:

  1. I was so pleased to read at the end that you bought Little Brother. I much prefer him, he's fabulous! You made the right decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The jardiniere was the perfect choice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh the pair would look lovely together. The next time you go if the tall one is still there you really should buy it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They look like they are pretty popular and might be gone by next time. However, if the tall ones are still in stock in January when they do a 50% sale on all houseplants and containers, I'll jump on it!

      Delete
  4. There is a reason why you came across the tall vase again, it's practically calling out to you. You know you want to ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Danger are bad influences. Fortunately, the nursery is an hour's drive away or I might yield to the temptation!

      Delete
  5. Your rationale for buying little brother makes perfect sense, yet I sense that the tall one continues to call to you like the siren on the rocks. "Buyer's Remorse" always works that way for me: regretting the one left behind. I'm guessing some heavy hints would be much appreciated by one who would love to find you the perfect gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy with the choice I made and enjoy looking at it every day. The siren song is growing weaker and little brother wears a black turtleneck, beret, and sunglasses while he plays the bongos and recites poetry so it's hard to hear big sister these days.

      Delete
  6. I like both...It is really difficult for me to decide between two so I would have grabbed both :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you went back to take another look/ Either would be a good choice and you went with the practical shorter version since you can display more types of plants. The tall one is very elegant and more for the art of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually go with things only for their artistic impression on me so it's nice to go with something that is both beautiful and practical.

      Delete
  8. You made a good choice, but if you are still thinking about the larger version.....
    They are both beautiful, and the leaves look great in them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the shorter version better too, but they are both wonderful. I'm glad you got one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You need one as well! Glad you like the short one.

      Delete
  10. I'd say both would be wonderful but you might have more storage space than moi. I do like either for their arts and crafts design style and their glazes are lovely. Good thing they aren't in the Portland area! I'm so glad you went home with Little Brother!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they could be in the Portland area 'round fling time if you're tempted. I'll be driving down with lots of empty space in the plant mobile.

      Delete
  11. I love them both, just as decorative sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like both, but I like the short one better because of the glaze, and the tall one looks like a tipping hazard. My family is a bit clumsy so I have to keep those kinds of things in mind. Lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being a bit of a klutz myself, I've been delighted to find that Museum Putty is a wonderful product. It's a little like the white stuff made to hang posters on walls without making a hole or leaving a tape mark but it's stronger, doesn't peel wood finishes, ins't oily, and is a great product! Museums indeed use it. All one does is pull off three or so pieces, work them between your fingers, place them on the bottom of the piece you want secured and press the piece onto the surface. Voila - the piece is now resistant to earthquake movement, pets that like to jump up on surfaces and rub against things, and less than graceful humans.

      Delete
  13. I like them both but I think the color in the shorter one appeals to me. Interesting with a plant in it that looks so similar....I think it would be lovely with a short bouquet of white roses too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo, I like the idea of white roses which would be very pretty in that piece!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.