-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, April 29, 2014

More of that Wonderful Day in Portland


After leaving Cistus, Alison, Loree, and I continued up Highway 30 to visit Joy Creek Nursery.  Unfortunately, we arrived at about 4:45 and the nursery closes at 5:00  this did not deter us from quickly shopping our way through the nursery but I didn't stop to take pictures.  For previous visits to Joy Creek, look here.  

This beautiful old barn is one of the great parts of Joy Creek!

Then we stopped by Means Nursery.  Here's Loree proving her saying that if you look hard enough, there's always an agave!  Means is known for it's extremely low prices.

You never know what you'll find here but if you're starting a new garden and need a volume of plants, this is the place to find the basics that make up the backbone of our gardens.  There is always a nice Acer palmatum selection at rediculously low prices.

Remember when Petunia 'Pretty Much Picasso' was new, hard to find and expensive.  I thought the color combination was cool but wish that it had the fragrance of some petunias.

The color of this begonia is delicious!



As is the foliage of this one.  (Alison bought a couple of these.)

Every now and then, there'll be something a bit more unusual at Means like this Sciadopitys verticullata

There's also usually some sort of crazy cool bargain like these magnolia trees that are about eight feet tall for only five dollars.
 Or these soon to be very fragrant deciduous azelias for the same price.  One can see large growing fields behind the nursery so I knew that some of what Means sells is grown there but the clerk who collected my money told me that Means is a large wholesale grower with fields here, in another location in Oregon, in California and in Ohio.  They have clients such as Lowe's and the Home Depot on the east coast.  This is their only retail outlet and explains why the prices are so low.  Check out their website to find current special sale items.

How to round out such a great day?  Visit a mortuary, of course.  This used to be the Chapel of the Chimes funeral parlor but has been converted by the wizzards at McMenamins into the Chapel Pub.  Loree, Alison and I had a lovely dinner here.  What a treat to sit and catch up with dear friends!
After dinner, we went to Sean Hogan's house for his post Hortlandia party.  His home garden is as  fabulous as his nursery (Cistus.)  He is a delightful person and his garden is equally special!  I didn't take any pictures as the light was fading and I've heard that flashing at a party is in poor taste.  (I guess it depends on what kind of party it is.)  but if you'd like a peek, look here.

I had so much fun with Alison from 7:00 a.m. until we got home way over twelve hours later.  Here are the obligatory plant conquest shots. 
 The plant mobile still had lots of empty space!

Although from some angles, it looked a little full.  

I'm so looking forward to another summer of garden adventures!  

31 comments:

  1. I'm so looking forward to another summer of adventure too. That Seattle NPA tour coming up on May 10 looks spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer is such an enjoyable time for me with little else to do but garden and go on garden field trips. Who could ask for anything more?

      Delete
  2. This was the only nursery I got to visit when I was out there last summer. I bought a hydrangea called "Oregon Pride". :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look forward to seeing your new Oregon garden evolve. I know that right now is a difficult time for you as you're sort of between worlds but your adventure to come will be fantastic!

      Delete
  3. If only they'd come up with a dwarf umbrella pine...
    I admire your stamina: 12 hours of nursery hopping. Sounds heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they grow slowly and aren't averse to being in pots so you could enjoy the regular umbrella pine for years without worrying about its eventual size.

      Delete
  4. What a fun day...have you got all the new plants planted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Loree, you slay me! I don't even have all of the plants from last summer planted yet although I did plant some of them in larger pots. Fortunately, I'm pretty good at keeping things alive in containers for a while. I do have most of the new plants placed around the garden to see if I like them in certain spots, does that count?

      Delete
  5. How much fun!

    I can´t believe I just saw something a little bit unusual for you this Sunday in a nursery here in Madrid!! it was a Sciadopitys verticullata. It is the first time I´ve seen it but I took a picture of the name to search in the web...and now I see it in your blog!!
    Hehe, I know...it is not a great discovery...but it is exciting for me :)
    Nice new plants for yours and Alison´s garden!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great discovery! This plant is so beautiful that I'm thrilled each time I see it for sale. I'm hoping to find the golden variety as well.

      Delete
  6. 5 bucks! For that price I'd grow that magnolia in a pot on my terrace for the summer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to pass up but I've already got beautiful magnolias in the ground. This is the kind of bargain that you can find there at times. I'm still kicking myself for not buying at least one of their trachycarpus fortunei last year. They had about twenty that were quite large (like way over my head) for 99 bucks which is about the price we pay for 4 foot specimens. I would have had to rent a truck but it would have been worth it to have palms of that size. Oh well, mine continue to grow...someday.

      Delete
  7. Awesome! And I spy with me little eye a palm tree in that car!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've a sharp eye my friend. Alison found a chamaerops humilis that she wanted for her front bed.

      Delete
  8. I am so envious of your group of gardening riends who shop together and have great places to visit and find such interesting things. It's a pleasure to read about your adventures and see the photos.

    Remember the Neoregelia you passed up that were so tattered and I said it was a good thing because I have some in that shape? They're putting on more pups! I guess the roots are the last part to die because the tops are really shabby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very fortunate to have met so many fun garden shopping friends through the bloggosphere and also lucky to have sort of accidentally landed in this area where there are so many great nurseries!

      Glad to hear about your Neoregelia pups!

      Delete
  9. Great times - bargain priced larger plants, even the puddles. (I see either of those far too little)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We sometimes forget to appreciate our puddles and admire your lack of them.

      Delete
  10. I can't wait to visit Means. I'm thinking a loop of Joy Creek, Cistus, and Means is in order soon. Maybe the weekend after next. This weekend I'm hoping to hit Downs' Rhododendrons for their spring sale and visit Lael's Moon Garden for the first time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always something at Means but the super bargains are hit and miss. Loree went back the day after our visit to look at the magnolias (there were some larger ones for $9.00 and they were already half gone.

      Delete
    2. I've never been to Lael's but have heard great things about them and recently drooled over their plants at the Rhododendron Species Garden spring plant sale! May 17 is the Heronswood spring sale and garden open. If you haven't been, it's usually a great sale.

      Delete
  11. Magnolias for five dollars?!! It sounded you guys had a blast and love the photos of your plant haul!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a more wonderful feeling than driving home with a car full of newly aquired treasures?

      Delete
  12. That plant mobile looked pretty stuffed to me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lots more space! There's always room for another plant or 10 right?

      Delete
  13. I wonder how my husband would feel about renting a truck and "vacationing" in the PNW?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like a wonderful idea! Best to just tell him that you've rented a vehicle and when it turns out to be a truck you can act surprised but vow to make the best of it...you're such a trooper and all. Once you've hit the California/Oregon border you might mention that there could be advantages to having a truck...

      Delete
  14. It's so much fun hunting for unusual finds and picking up great treasures. That's what our car looks like at times.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your local nurseries might be getting a little jealous, but I guess you lure Oregonians up there from time to time too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have an interesting melange of plants there, you will have fun with them. I was drooling over a similar begonia at a nursery today, they are really gorgeous. I would hope they are as tough as my old Angel Wing Begonia, but I'm not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  17. How wonderful! I love your posts, Peter. There is something very special about going on a plant hunt with fellow plant lovers.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.