-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, August 17, 2018

Friday Fun in the Garden of Mark and Evonne Peryea

We're back on the rainy side of the state today to visit the garden of Mark and Evonne Peryea in Olympia.  Evonne is the proprietor of Plantasia Garden Design and is very proud of the fact that they've redone their home and installed the garden in just three years.

Evonne's description in the NPA Open Gardens book:  "A Modern Urban garden that nourishes your body, mind, and spirit.  From a humble beginning to a true garden oasis that demonstrates sustainable gardening, plant collections featuring perennials, vines and dwarf conifers.  Garden art in metal, stone and glass abound. Five water features and fragrant plants to delight your senses"



Evonne ran a gift shop for a time which was the source for most of the non-plant items in her garden.












Here in the "formal garden" is the largest of the water features mentioned in the description. Need a dash of color among your green plants?  Add a pot of silk flowers and boom, problem solved.


We'll come back to that side of the garden later because we were advised to start on the other side in the edible garden.  A good example of edibles growing pleasingly in an urban landscape.

It must be a joy for the coleus to sit on this bench. 


I liked these red trellis/plant supports. 

The edible garden on the side of the house opens into the back garden. 


Clearly stated expectations are a key to success in so many endeavors, don't you think?



Is it an ornamental cage or a cleverly disguised gnome trap?  Only time will tell. 

Alas, lily time has passed but the memory of that beautiful scent makes me smile.  




That's one big hummingbird!  

The sign reads "Grass Garden."





Clowning around.

Time to head around the corner and I don't want to hear any lip about it!


Kitty seems happy to be sunning him/herself on a warm rock. 


"Miniatures, dwarfs, rock garden plants."  

Love the rusty bats!

"Butterfly and Hummingbird Friendly Plants." 

So many signs.

I get tired of trimming my topiary trees a few times each year.  This faux plant might be a solution.  Looks like someone's head exploded.




This unusual plant blooms year 'round.  
It's clear that Evonne has fun in her garden and it brings her joy which is the most important part of gardening.   One of the pleasures of visiting so many gardens is noticing how each garden reflects the personality of it's gardener.  Gardens are as diverse as those who make them. 

Happy weekend and may your garden bring you great joy!

8 comments:

  1. You are correct as well as diplomatic: Gardens are as diverse as those who make them. I admit I found it hard to see the plants for all the man man and colorful objects everywhere. But then I am a rusty pot/foliage person, so my comment should not be a surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks as though they enjoy their garden. I loved the sign, although I couldn't help wondering about its origins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! That's a lot of tat! I think I heard you telling Loree about this garden during our foray to Far Reaches last weekend. I love the street girls sign, I'd put that in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always something to learn from the big-hearted people who open their gardens. Love those brandy-colored rudbeckias, and the snakeroot in the big jar. (And I thought sailors paid for the room...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of stuff here, and lots of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A lot got done in 3 years. I love the chartreuse and blue Asian-inspired grouping on the patio. I also spotted a really fun bird cage that totally appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love visiting other gardens. There is always something to take away from them, an idea to do or not to do. I can see where this gardener is going to fill up her space in no time. I love those blue pots full of goodies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A fun garden indeed. Are those California Poppies in the second photo?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.