-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, January 16, 2017

In a Face on Monday/Euphorbia flanaganii for Foliage Follow Up

In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Go to her blog to see her arrangement this week and find links to those of other participating bloggers.  This week my vase is a face planter and the contents were foraged from a  nursery.

Foliage Follow Up is hosted by Pam at Digging on the day after Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day each month to remind us of the important role foliage plays in our gardens.  I cheated a little there too.

This week, I'd planned, well in advance,  what I was going to put in a vase  for this post but then  we visited Molbak's (90% off all holiday merchandise) and I noticed these which, at first, didn't really appeal to me. Nonetheless, one was allowed to ride in my cart for a while.  A delightful worker saw it in my cart and decided to advise me about  plant possibilities and went about grabbing plants and plopping them in.  We were both having fun so I didn't bother telling her that I didn't need another plant.  Eventually, we came up with something that was pleasant and whimsical enough.


Then, over in the cacti and succulent area was this windblown-looking Euphorbia flanaganii.  The other plant was quickly re-shelved.  I already have one of these but it's far to big for this pot and they're such fun and easy plants that everyone could use another, right?

Here they are together.


Throw in a bow left from the flowers my sisters sent a couple of weeks ago et voilà, a lady on a windy winter day


Many thanks to Cathy and Pam for hosting and for putting up with my cheating ways!

13 comments:

  1. This planter did not appeal to me until I saw the final photo. Something about it is wonderful -- simple and calming. Maybe it's just my mood today?

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I collect figurative sculpture and the facial expression is always the deciding factor. I love her and would have brought her home to join the pair of vases in my blog header. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Peter, you have such a way with plants and sculpture. I'm always amazed. I wish I had more light in this tiny hut of ours, but I will live vicariously through your plant collection.

    Thank you so much for your kind comments on my blog. I appreciate your support. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the perfect plant for that pot. I have the same Euphorbia, but nowhere near your creative talent for what to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I absolutely ADORE this vase Peter - just the sort of 'quirk' that appeals to me. Thanks so much for sharing Peter

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your inner hairdresser is showing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this vase and the wonderful 'do' you gave her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE this, Peter! So cute and clever - a perfect pairing. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.