-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Tell the Truth Tuesday - Neglect

On Tuesdays, our meme host, Alison of Bonney Lassie encourages us to buck the trend of posting only images of our gardens looking their best, to tell the sometimes ugly truth of gardening. 


You may recall this arrangement from In a Vase on Monday a couple of weeks ago.  The cones of Cedrus deodara fall apart when they're mature but I thought that these, blown down on a large branch during a wind storm, might remain intact.


Actually, a few did but others shattered. Also interesting to note - if one forgets to put water in the vase, evergreen branches don't stay that way long.


So, there you have the ugly truth that is now cleaned up.  To be fair, the pictures were taken after I'd removed the intact cones.  We won't discuss the poor dieffenbachias crying out for water. 

That's my ugly truth for this week.  What's particularly hideous in your garden?  

17 comments:

  1. Oh, what a shame about the cones that shattered. They did leave an awful mess. It almost looks like a host of squirrels was allowed to roam loose in your front hall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look like that but, knock wood, we haven't had a squirrel invasion. Our neighbor had a horrible time ridding his house of them.

      Delete
  2. Since it snowed all ugliness is hidden and it is starting to snow again right now. And I can't see the part of the garden where I hide all the junk from inside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray for snow hiding the ugliness. However, your garden is so wonderful that I doubt there's much ugliness to be hidden.

      Delete
  3. Yikes! I like Alison's comment about squirrels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Oh Peter, I have always wondered how your arrangements fared after photography day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually they age a bit more gracefully than this one but since I wanted to dry the cones, it got left way past its prime.

      Delete
  5. Ha, that mess looks familiar. I am sure I have had to clean up several of similar messes. Looks typical to me. And....plants that need water. YEP, it is happening here too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and here I thought you were perfect, Peter. I'm terrible about watering my indoor plants and only slightly more responsible about checking the water level in my vases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more illusion shattered. Usually, I'm better about watering but in the winter when it's so wet outside, I forget that it's not raining inside the house as well.

      Delete
  7. What mess? All I see is that amazing staircase/woodwork....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We feel very lucky to have found a house with such lovely woodwork and that it wasn't painted.

      Delete
  8. Ha ! I am pretty good about changing out the flowers but I admit to waiting too long upon occasion.I just threw out a Christmas arrangement on Saturday. It was pretty crispy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We simply enjoy our arrangements in all phases of their existence.

      Delete
  9. Oh, dear. We never have enough time for all our plants. Our outdoor plants are mostly pretty self-sufficient, but our indoor plants suffer more.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.