-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, January 15, 2019

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day January 2019

On the fifteenth of each month our devoted host, Carol, at May Dreams Gardens gives bloggers all over the world the opportunity to share what's blooming in their gardens.  It's a great way to see what's happening in different climates and also becomes a handy garden journal.  After participating for several years, I can look back on bloom days from the same month each year and see if the feeling of things blooming earlier or later this year is just my imagination or not.  Anyway, click over to May Dreams Gardens to see blooms from all over the planet.

Here's most of what's blooming in my zone 8 Puget Sound region of Western Washington garden this January.

A hydrangea still holding on to some color. 

It's hellebore time!




Jasminum nudiflorum spits out blooms all fall and winter.

Not the most handsome rose at this time of year but a rose nonetheless. 

I thought this Mahonia was the same variety as the ones that have just finished blooming but it's just starting.  Great to have these in bloom as long as possible for the winter hummingbirds.

Okay, they're not flowers anymore but  Fatsia japonica  seed heads that look like flowers.

Garrya elliptica

Lonicera fragrantissima is another hummingbird favorite. 

Viburnum × bodnantense 'Dawn' 

I usually buy a few winter pansies to brighten the garden.  They do pump out a few blooms in the cold season but really take off in the summer.

This may not really count because it came home from our local everything store just a few days ago but it's bright and happy outside. 
Not pictured are Sarcococca and Kerria japonica which are also in bloom.  Earlier in the month, the first Camellia japonica popped open but it's gone now and no others are blooming yet.   What's blooming in your garden this month?

16 comments:

  1. Beautiful!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, hellebores. I really do need to try some in my garden. All your blooms look fresh and beautiful. That viburnum is quite pretty. Happy Bloom Day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always have so much more blooming than I do. And your Garrya is so magnificent. What would we do without Hellebores at this time of year?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your Hellebores are so much further along than mine, and wow. Why didn't I plant a Garrya back when I had space?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Totally forgot it was GBBD as it's winter here! Love those glimpses of blue sky to say nothing of the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh your photos have warmed up a dark January night Peter. It's mainly snowdrops and hellebores for me with the first crocuses just beginning to croak.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I visit GBBD sites like yours to warm up because there's no such thing as a January garden where I live. Even hellebore rarely risks it - although I have a daredevil white one that sometimes will try to bloom, but most times it gets nipped until the following year. Happy GBBD to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. All those hellebores! For reasons I don't understand, mine bloom (if at all) in spring. As to the Garrya, I'm going to take a photo of yours outside to show my plant - maybe it just has no clue as to what it's supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This reminds me that you live in a different world than I do. I enjoyed seeing all of your blooms. Happy GBBD.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our sweet little winter blooming cyclamen are beginning to open, to keep the patch of snowdrops company right outside our family room window.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your Garrya is fantastic, mine doesn't have any tassels this year, maybe I pruned it too hard last time! Hellebores are so welcome at this time of year, beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing is blooming in my garden under the snow, Peter. It's not surprising therefore it's a pleasure to see your flowers. Love you cyclamen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful hellebores what vibrant colors !
    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Peter-I love your assortment of Hellebore blooms and the Garrya elliptica is beautiful in January. Happy Bloom Day!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such nice Hellebores! We won't seem them blooming until March, probably.

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is a spectacular Garrya!! WOW!!! And really, a hydrangea... The times, they are a-crazy. Lovely hellebores, but it feels like they are way too early this year. Or, is it just me?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.