-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Late Winter at Bellevue Nursery


At the beginning of this month, I stopped by Bellevue nursery to explore.  There were some great explosions of color.


If red and orange aren't your cup of tea, there's vibrant blue.

Electric Pink!

Speaking of color, this Phormium or Cordyline (no tag) really caught my eye and would have jumped into my cart.

Except that the only one was in this combination pot which was a bit pricey for me.  The plant came from Petula last summer and I think I saw it somewhere else.  It'll be on my list to find this season! (Because I don't have enough plants...)


This wood frame had ten slanted receptacles to hold four-inch pots.  One could change the contents each season and always have an interesting vertical garden.  

Someone has been marketing grape hyacinths (muscari) planted with the tops of the bulbs exposed, a rather charming look in the terra cotta pots.


As always, inside there was a great selection of houseplants, tchotchkes, tools, and all things garden- related.  However, the sun had peeked through the clouds so the outside was calling.

There was even a half-price sale table that contained these Puya alpestris 'Sapphire Towers'

and a couple Agave bracteosa 'Calamar.' Great prices on these cool plants that made it sitting outdoors this winter but I already have them in the hoard collection so they stayed.


The galvanized metal wellies really stole my heart.  Perhaps a return visit to get one or two is in order.  

Does your tin woodsman need footwear?  What would you do with these in your garden? 



8 comments:

  1. Those two Agave bracteosa look so much more lush than the ones I already own. Don't know why, but they just haven't thrived. I would have been tempted by those Puya though. And the frame is very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow...you're taking me way back, I haven't been there in ages! Love the Cordyline...it's a beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aha! I knew something would come along to tempt me onto the vertical garden bandwagon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Cordyline has such an interesting colour combo, wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Cordyline may be 'Electric Flash'. I have 2, both acquired in the 1-gallon size but pricey even so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure what I would do with those metal boots but I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. No matter how many visits you make to a nursery, there is always something new to catch your eye. This time it was the framed vertical display with the primroses. What a cool idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. As I was repotting a few cuttings this afternoon I thought about how dangerous it would be to have a few decent nurseries all within a civilized driving distance. I would have a completely different garden, and the kids would have a completely different college fund (or lack thereof). I guess it's for the best...

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.