-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, March 21, 2016

In A Vase On Monday

Well, it was an interesting thought.   There was a large gnarly moss and lichen-covered branch found during a walk a month or so ago.  Of course it came home and has been sitting on a bench in the garden waiting to be used.  Because of it's interest, it would probably have been best to use parts of it on their own but I spied Daffodils 'British Gamble' flopping on the ground because of the rain and decided that a death and rebirth theme for the first bouquet of spring and for the Monday before Easter might be fun.

The branches are dead but had set buds before being ripped from the tree (by someone else, we just found it.)

It's usually a good idea to stop and rethink an arrangement when it's not going the way you wanted it to.  Someday, I'll learn that lesson but, as usual, I just kept thinking that if I just added another element, it would all work.   Daffodils are new life, the beginning of a new season. Tillandsias - sure, just throw them in. Everlasting life?

In a failed attempt to hide the stems of the flowers in a clear glass vase, some Arum italicum leaves got thrown in. Also, their beautiful foliage, having been green all winter will soon die back for the summer.


The great character of the branch is becoming obscured. 

We'll just throw in some props.  An ammonite or nautilus  crystallized fossil, a pin that had belonged to my grandmother with the birthstones of each of her grandchildren, a crystalline glazed vase,  and some crystals, all things transformed under heat, pressure, and time. From death as one thing to life as another.

 Oh well, it's the thought that counts, right?
On this first Monday of spring, we think of Cathy at Rambling in the Garden who hosts In A Vase On Monday each week.  Many thanks to her for this fun tradition.  Click here to see her arrangement and links to those of other participants!.

12 comments:

  1. Not bad, although daffodils are not my favorite for some reason. Love seeing them every spring for about 2 minutes and then my attention is drawn to something more interesting. You did a nice job with them here though! Love the ammonite fossil!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your theories on how to put a vase together are the same as your theories on house decorating and putting together a garden bed. Just keep throwing things at it and see what sticks. It turned out nice, but I do think the Daffs would be better off in their own vase. They are definitely obscuring that wonderful branch. Happy Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the symbolism of it all! I guess the star player got a little obscured, but in the end, I still think it came together rather nicely. The Tillandsias are a great addition. I bet the branch will last through at least another attempt if you are so inclined... no?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Though the branch got obscured (thus changing your original concept), I think your additions made it all work visually. I think restraint in the vase, in the garden or anywhere is difficult. Every time I think I am being restrained in my planting, I look around and realized I am as out of control as any gardener out there. We just can't stop ourselves from adding one more thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Branch, what branch? It's a great arrangement Peter, even if you can't see the branch for the daffs...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is absolutely all about the idea behind your arrangement. I like the story you weave each Monday and how you tie in your collectables; a clever opportunity to show them off. And I think that fabulous branch, who's been denied the lime light today, may be resurrected in the future. Meanwhile, its a great Springy arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have the same predilection to keep adding things to an arrangement - once I've cut something, I can't stand the idea of not using it. The branch can be used again another time, right? So no harm and it gets to serve a support function this time. I love that nautilus - you must have quite a storehouse of decorative objects.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So many pretty arrangements. You've got me thinking...I could do that. Well not as nice. Right now I'm doing repairs around the house then outside to CLEAN the garden beds. Little by little.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It all turned out very pretty and as everything else fades, the branch and the tillandsias will remain for their star turn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The branch turned out to be a good support structure.
    You may have seen my kitchen table arrangement made from yard snippings on my last post. It's going to have to be replaced soon, though. These spring beauties last longer outside than they do in a vase.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good you showed the encrusted branch by itself, before it became covered with glorious rosy daffodils, arum leaves, and the tillandsias that make me think of sea anemones. Those would go with the marvelous ammonite fossil. Quite an assemblage, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the nonchalant way you throw things together Peter - and you write in exactly the same way. I always enjoy reading your vase posts for this reason. Your selection of bits, despite what you imply, fits together perfectly although I am curious as why the daffodil is called 'British Gamble'... Beautiful polished ammonite too. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.