-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Sorticulture Part 1: Plants and Petals


Ah, Sorticulture, a garden art festival in a beautiful park on a sunny day, sweet fragrance of Linden trees in bloom wafting through the air, live music, and garden art everywhere.  Who could ask for anything more. 


How about a really nice selection of plants?  Here are just a few of the many wonderful offerings.   

Enbothrium coccinea (Chilean flame tree) is best started as a seedling.  These will grow quickly. 

Echeveria 'Blue Atoll'

Quercus alnifolia, an evergreen oak with golden indumentum. 

Love those marbled leaves!


Acer palmatum 'Rainbow'

Some fabulous Sarracenia hybrids. 


If you forgot to plant lilies earlier...



 Want to make hummingbirds happy?  Plant lots of salvia!

Got roses?



I meant to buy a locally-grown bouquet for Monday's vase but forgot to grab one on the way out.


For a list of vendors and nurseries go here.   A post about some of the art will come soon.  

8 comments:

  1. I don't think I ever saw Sarracenia hybrids in bloom. The flowers, if indeed that's what I'm seeing, remind me of hellebores' flowers. As if the "pitcher" isn't astonishing enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what did you buy? Or did you already cover that and I've forgotten?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Summer in your part of the country is so much more wonderful than summer here...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have helped myself to a selection of those lilies. Can't get enough of them. The Salvias looked good too. Everything looks good what can I say.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That peony and sweet william bouquet would have jumped into my arms - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those peonies(?) in the 2nd to last photo--sigh! All the rain you get up there--the plants put it to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much to tempt you, were you tempted?
    I have the variegated Laurel, it grows into quite a large shrub but I had to move it 3 times before I found just the right place for it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very unusual oak! Sorticulture should be a concept as well as a place.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.