-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, April 23, 2018

In a Vase on Monday - Eggxactly What the Doctor Ordered

It's spring and this weekend was blessedly bereft of precipitation.  The sun even made several appearances and our highs neared sixty.  The coming week will see our first seventy degree highs this year, the perfect antidote to our heretofore  rather soggy spring.

This egg-shaped vase with attached hen and chicks  decided to come out of the cupboard for today's offering.


Because of the weather, I wanted to spend as much time working in the garden as possible so just grabbed a bit of what was abundant and in the way, all rampant spreaders.  Lunaria annua, Kerria japonica 'Pleniflora,' and the dreaded Hyacinthoides hispanica (Spanish Bluebells) that continue to thrive even though they've been dug out several times.  Those that do stay are pulled up, foliage and all as soon as they're done blooming.

Some blown out quail eggs that live in an abandoned nest on a table on the back porch were added along with a rather strange creature created by Jeff Pinto
In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy of Rambling in the Garden.  Click here to check out what others have brought inside from their gardens or scavenged nearby to brighten their week.

19 comments:

  1. Spring has definitely sprung in your garden. I always love to see what you will have pulled out of the cupboard(s) for containers and props to suit your flowers. Sudden arrival of warmer weather is melting the snow here and plants are popping up at last.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ! The orange purple flowers are awesome. The vase is way too sweet, perfect for this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I meant bluebells not orange. Still sleepy , oh your little bird (think bird) is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it wonderful to be able to grab handfuls of "what was abundant" this time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perfect flowers for that great little vase!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the way you are using all the thugs and rejects for your vase (like my wallflowers!), Peter - we need to keep plugging away at trying to get rid of them, don't we? I thought I had celandine contained here, but it is popping up all over the place now :( As usual, your vase and props fit the bill perfectly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect blooms for such a cute spring vase!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful, Peter! I love your vase. I think a hen will have more 5 chickens :-)
    Nice vernal flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I continue to marvel at your vase collection - how many more are there that we've never seen? I'm glad to hear you had some dry weather this weekend and could enjoy your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes! I'm looking forward to the warmer, dry weather this week. Your arrangement is so bright and pretty, and I love the eggy theme.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great colours. I wouldn't have thought of putting them together but they make a vibrant vase. Hurrah for spring.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just can't get over all the fab vases you have....and this one was so adorable....you filled it to the brim and added the perfect props. Glad to hear you also had great gardening weather.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect timing for your egg and chickens. The local farm supply stores all have the chicks for sale. I love going in there and seeing them. Your flowers look so pretty on display in this vase. Happy IAVOM.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nicely done Peter. Bright and rich colors. I have a lot of thugs in my garden but never got around to planting Spanish Bluebells. They are attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a charming vase, Peter. It looks like something I would have bought, I love vases and chickens. The Kerria look like egg yolks - did you plan that? And why are Spanish bluebells bad? They look lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great color combination. I found the hard way how prolific Spanish blue bells are... digging and pulling them out whenever I can... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice! The purples, blues, and oranges always work so well together. I'm glad most of us are actually experiencing some nice spring weather now. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The Kerria looks very well-behaved in your vase Peter - I always have difficulties incorporating it in a vase as mine is a bit wild! Love your egg vase with hen and chicks!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A cracking arrangement! (Sorry for the pun.) I love honesty - it is everywhere near me at the moment, but not in my garden. I must rectify this, although I have plenty of hybrid bluebells.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.