-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Wednesday Vignette

Wednesday Vignette is hosted each week by the lovely and talented Anna at Flutter and Hum.  Click on over there to see links to more images that have caught the eye of participating bloggers.

Asplenium scolopendrium crispum is one of my favorite ferns.  (Okay, I love them all.)  This year I actually cut the old foliage off before the new foliage emerged and was rewarded handsomely.  Most ferns are exquisite as their fronds unfurl in the spring and this one is no exception.


It's equally fabulous once the fronds are unfurled but we'll have to wait a few days for that to happen. 

10 comments:

  1. Nice! I need to remember to do that next year. Not only for this show, but because the old foliage tends to look a little ragged.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always neglect to cut off old foliage too. This year I managed to get to my sword ferns, but most of my other ferns are still looking rather mangy. I do love the brand new unfurling fronds.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet those ferns love the rain, even if you don't!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look so unusual! I don't think I have any crispum in the garden, must get one asap...

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, that is gorgeous. I am growing a couple of hart's tongue ferns and they are in difficult spots to reach to cut back the dead stuff. But it makes such a huge difference, I really should make the effort when I see this. This is only the first year for my crispum so there is not much to see yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is an unusual fern unfurling.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh - they look fantastic! I have one with wavy edges, but I don't recall ever seeing it unfurl like THAT! Ferns are so wonderful, aren't they? One of my favorite types of plant, for sure! I have heard that when you do cut them back, cut some of the old fronds up, and leave them as mulch around the plant. Something about decomposing spores being good for future fern generations. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a fascinating fern! I decided to Google it and see what it looks like unfurled--I've seen that one at botanical gardens and plant places when traveling. I almost think it's more interesting at this stage than when it's unfurled, although both are great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm a bit of fernaholic too, I love the way they so clearly show you which fronds they would like you to cut off.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love ferns, too. I'm limited here as to zone, though. I love the look of this one! Last night I purchased Athyrium 'Godzilla'. Unfortunately, at the moment it looks more like a tree toad than a gigantic metropolis=eating reptile, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.