-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, May 25, 2017

The Glass Eye Studio Sidewalk Sale

For a few hours on one Saturday in May and another in October, Glass Eye Studio, a wholesale-only glass studio holds a sidewalk sale and throws it's doors open to the public.  There's always a lot of great glass to peruse and buy at 1/2 of wholesale prices, sometimes even lower.  To see a previous visit to this fab sale look here.  It had been a while since we'd attended the sale.  While some items are almost always present, each sale has unique prototype items and individual artists also set up their own spaces with  unique, non studio work.  What a great opportunity to obtain beautiful art glass for a fraction of the price!

Paperweights and ornaments have many admirers and collectors.  

Floppy bowls.




I've forgotten what these are called but they have an opening in the bottom so they can have lights inserted and be used to illuminate garden paths.  In the background you can sort of make out some hummingbird feeders.


Lovely vases. 



 Autumn


The flower-garden feel of this one was interesting. 


With so many eager shoppers milling about in search of treasure, I didn't take a lot of pictures.  If you're a fan of blown glass, this sale is definitely worth a trip.  To capitalize further on the sale, a few non Glass-Eye-affiliated artists sell their wares on the streets outside of the venue.  

Ah yes, the plantets.  Looks like someone's got the whole world in her hand. 

The moon, Saturn, and Mercury.

Some other planet.  One can collect the entire solar system. 

One of the individual artist's wares with many rhododendrons.  

Bird feeders.  I wonder if these are really frequented by birds.  the seed goes at the bottom but is glass too slick for birds to grasp?  They'd be pretty hanging from a tree anyway.

The eye candy just kept coming.  

What came home with me?  You may have seen a few things in a recent In A Vase on Monday post.  For the rest, keep your eyes peeled as they will certainly appear in future Monday arrangements. 
  


16 comments:

  1. Oh, how do I get in on this for the next sale!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link to their website contact area: http://www.glasseye.com/contact/ You can call or email them and ask to be put on their mailing list and you'll receive a postcard in the mail a month or so before the sale. You can also follow them on facebook/twitter.

      Delete
  2. The plethora of colors and shapes remind me of my childhood marble collection. I still love my marbles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they do look like marbles. Sounds like you still have your collection. I lost my marbles years ago.

      Delete
    2. Ha! I left that door wide open :-)

      Delete
  3. There are some beautiful pieces for sale here. Like Linda, I'd love to check out their sale in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's a link to their website contact area: http://www.glasseye.com/contact/ You can call or email them and ask to be put on their mailing list and you'll receive a postcard in the mail a month or so before the sale. You can also follow them on facebook/twitter.

      Delete
  4. I adore blown glass in all forms. I'd have been all over those vases. I look forward to seeing your new acquisitions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So the beauty of it is that the Rare Plant Research open and Glass Eye Studio sidewalk sale are usually within a week or two of each other so your PNW trip could take both of those in. Nurseries here are always full of great plants in May!

      Delete
  5. I'd definitely love to peruse this sale - though I hardly need another vase, I know I'd succumb!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool stuff! All of it by locals? Even more cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What great items. Vases and bowls - two of my faves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm the odd person who just doesn't love glass like this. What's wrong with me???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ain't nothing wrong with you! You have a well-defined and amazing sense of style which is somehow exuberant and elegant at the same time, like an eagle soaring. I'm more like a silly crow easily distracted by shiny objects, gaudy colors, and anything else tat catches my eye.

      Delete
  9. Seeing all of those together is overpowering -- I'm not sure how you'd even be able to choose anything (sensory overload)! I think I'd go for the "planets" first, but what I noticed first about them is the apple trays in which they're sitting. Yes, I know apple trays well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.