-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Wednesday Vignette - What to do?

Wednesday Vignette is the brainchild of our talented and delightful host, Anna at Flutter and Hum.  Take a sleigh ride over to her blog to see her WV and links to those of other participating bloggers.

The deadline for Loree's Poinsettia Challenge is tomorrow and I've yet to chose an entry.  I've created a few things with similar elements in different settings.  I decided to use 'Autumn Leaves' Poinsettias this year instead of my usual reds as I love the way the orange tones of the poinsettia play against croton leaves.  In this attempt, I grabbed a black mondo grass and a heuchera from the garden (there are some benefits to not getting everything in the ground, right?)  and threw them in. Since, like crotons, poinsettias like warmer temperatures than what we have in the PNW, I thought Refugees from the cold or taking refuge from the storm might be interesting titles.


Here, the heuchera is gone, the mondo grass moves to the left side and an orange-leaved libertia is added along with some rose hips and beauty berries from the garden.


Here some smaller cuttings of the croton join in along with some grass seed heads from the garden and now-eaten persimmons.  It's kind of busy but I like the tropical warmth by the fire setting.  It had to be taken apart to water as the pot has a drain hole and wood furniture doesn't like water so much. A smarter person would have lined the pot with something first.

Pulling some things out of this and starting again might be best but my Christmas decorating isn't finished yet so that'll not happen.  If you had to go with one of these images to enter, which would you choose?


12 comments:

  1. I like the third photo. Love the rose hips. On the other hand, it's more traditional than is popular now, but the bottom photo doesn't show off the non-traditional color poinsettias nearly as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like #2 slightly better than #3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite is the third photo because the focus is more on the plants than the room but both #2 and #3 are great shots. Your refugees theme is wonderful and so appropriate given what I've heard about the weather up there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it without the Heuchera. But I must say that is one pretty Poinsettia. Have not seen that pale color which makes it more adaptable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My favorite is the third image down from the top. Love that peach-toned poinsettia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautifully done! I love mixing Croton and the Poinsettia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the heuchera, but since the emphasis is on poinsettias, I think the third photo is the best. Th exuberance of the last one is fantastic though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I guess I should have read your blog post before I sent that email eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love the second one best, with the third a close second. (Wow, that sounded so convoluted, but you get what I mean - I'm sure.) I just brought home some Poinsettias this evening. Will try to get something into Loree's challenge tomorrow. I love the Autumn Leaves as well - just saw them for the first time this year. That color is so fabulously warm... Merry Christmas, Peter!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm going to break away from the pack and pick the first picture as my favorite. I like that the heuchera breaks up the poinsettias a little bit, makes the components more balanced. I like how the black mondo grass drapes downward, elongating the arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm terrible when it comes to picking things, but the first one is my favorite as well. I love the black mondo grass as an accent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. To be honest I don' t usually like poinsettias but having said that, the second arrangement is stunning. Well, they all look fabulous. Beautifully arranged.
    Happy Christmas Peter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.