-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, December 7, 2015

In a Vase on Monday Advent 2

In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Check out her blog to see other ITVOM offerings.


"There is a yearning in hearts weighed down by ancient grief and centuries of sorrow."

There were a few things blooming in the garden but the dying of the light, the blustery weather, and nearly constant cloudiness (you could call the weather 50 shades of gray) makes the garden feel bleak, especially since I only see it on weekends at this time of year.  More shootings in the news make my heart feel the same way so I went searching for darkness.

"There is a yearning in hearts that in the darkness hide
and in the shades of death abide,
a yearning for tomorrow."

Even in the darkness is light, in the desolate, hope.  Evergreen foliage mixes with spent seed heads and rotting rose hips containing seeds of hope.  

"There is a yearning, a yearning for the promised One, the First-born of creation.
Emmanuel, Emmanuel, within our hearts, the yearning."


"There is a yearning that fills the hearts of those who wait the day of His appearing.
There is a yearning when all our sorrows are erased
And we shall see the One who placed within our hearts the yearning. 
Emmanuel, Emmanuel, within our hearts, the yearning."

-Susan Bentall Boersma

 For the full poem and the choral piece with music by Craig Courtney, look here:





12 comments:

  1. I really enjoy the way you combine multiple art forms (poetry, music, flowers) in your vase posts. Always a rich experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A beautiful post and lovely collection of light from the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tis beautiful Peter, I especially love the rotting rose hips. Yesterday morning the sky cleared here for a bit - it was wonderful. I hadn't realized how profoundly the dark week had hit me until I felt the weight lifting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a wonderful testimonial to those lost in San Bernadino and the scars the event has left on all of us, Peter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for introducing me to The Yearning...
    And I enjoyed watching the assembly of the arrangement. Gives me some ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope something happens to lift your spirits. It's been dark as dusk here all day, but just a few minutes ago, the sky suddenly lightened and I even saw a bit of blue sky. It made me laugh, because there's only a couple hours before it will get dark anyway, but the light still shown today.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your noirish vase and the ruminations on darkness and light.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let there be light, and let it be more abundantly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The sun can't return fast enough, can it?!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Apres la pluie le beautemps...apres l'Hiver le Printemps. The first part is a quote from one the books I read as a child...the second I just thought of now. I like your 'advent' approach to this season...and the poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Apres la pluie le beautemps...apres l'Hiver le Printemps. The first part is a quote from one the books I read as a child...the second I just thought of now. I like your 'advent' approach to this season...and the poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The darkness up here gets to me too, Peter, especially when I'm out driving, it seems like all the evergreen trees soak up the light. I'm looking forward to the solstice and lengthening of the days, as well as the return of the Prince of Peace from heaven. Your music is so lovely. I wish I still went to a church that sings choral music, listening to it, instead of all the new rock type music so prevalent. I put on the Messiah yesterday.... ahh!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.