-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, December 26, 2014

Helleborus orientalis is my Favorite Plant...This Week

I'm joining with Loree at Danger Garden in posting my favorite plant...this week.  Click on over to her blog to see what's catching the eye of other garden bloggers today.

This morning, I went out to photograph my Pyracantha which was laden with berries earlier in the week.  It grows in a bed between our fence and the sidewalk.  While it still has some berries and I could have photographed it, I busied myself with propping it back up as it was hanging over the sidewalk.  Some "urban forager" (thief)  had decided to cut (thank goodness they used pruners and didn't just rip the branches) berries to use as decorations for the holiday so I decided to feature a different favorite.

Helleborus orientalis 'Anna's Red' is the first to show buds this year.

I love winter bloomers that remind us that spring is just around the corner!


Here, stolen directly from Plant Lust are some details about this plant.  For more information about this or just about any other plant, head on over to Plant Lust!

PLANT TYPE

Perennial

ZONES

5a-9b

SIZE

H:12"-18"
W:12"-18"

GROWING CONDITIONS

SOIL NEEDS:
Acid, Well-Drained, Rich
WATER NEEDS:
Regular
SUN EXPOSURE:
Part Shade, Shade

FEATURES

FLOWERS:
White, Purple / Violet
FOLIAGE:
Evergreen
WILDLIFE:
Deer Resistant
FLOWERING TIME:
Winter

What's your favorite plant this week?

16 comments:

  1. While I'm really thrilled to see buds on your Hellebore, I am also fuming on your behalf about the thief who took advantage of your garden. I really should get back into the habit of doing a favorite plant post on a regular basis. Right now I'm really happy with my Eucalyptus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People are people... I was surprised to see this one sending up buds so soon. I'd better go check out some of the others!

      Delete
  2. Shame on the berry branch thief! I love the emerging buds on Hellebore. Such lovely promise.
    My favorite plant right now is winder jasmine, with sunshiny yellow blossoms blooming as winter begins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment made me go out and look to see if my winter jasmine was blooming and sure enough it was full of sunshiny cheer! Hooray for spring not being far away!

      Delete
  3. As I complain about the foraging habits of the deer, I tend to forget about the foragers that show up in an urban setting. Your equanimity sets a fine example.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is what it is. Urban and rural settings both have their little irritants.

      Delete
  4. Too bad about the berry poachers but the Hellebore is very pretty. I'm hoping to add more to my own garden this year now that removal of the lawn has given me a suitable area, although I don't think they're as happy here as they are in the PNW. I featured a rather ordinary tree that developed some unexpected color as my favorite this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hellebores do seem to like our soggy winters and mild summers but with your garden magic, I'm sure they'll perform beautifully!

      Delete
  5. Oh no, sorry about the berry poachers, very naughty! Nice hellebore at least :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Naughty and nice would have been a great title for this post!

      Delete
  6. Some people amaze me! The Hellebores are areal sign of spring, it can't be far away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm no longer amazed, some people feel entitled to take whatever they wish. Spring, glorious spring, is just around the corner!

      Delete
  7. Damn, I'm sorry about the missing berry branches. I've been talking a lot lately (on the blog) about foraging for holiday materials (wreaths, tree, mantle greens) and feel a bit guilty by association, although I would never cut from a garden it still suddenly seems so wrong. Glad your hellebore was there to provide a positive counter to the negative.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your foraging is very different and I've been known to rescue pine cones that would be driven over. Anything in a vacant lot is fair game. Before we moved to this house, I cut holly from some trees in a downtown area where a whole neighborhood of homes had been demolished at some point the the land left untouched for decades. Your foraging is similar and you're not depriving others from the enjoyment of the plants. When someone picks all of the tulips or tugs up a rose bush or two from the beds in a park, that's an entirely different animal. Forage on my talented and sensitive friend!

      Delete
  8. I'm sorry about your Pyracantha. I wish people had more respect and common sense. I'm done with winter. Can we fast forward to spring?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shame about the berries but it is so exciting when the hellebores start blooming. This one looks as if it is going to be a beauty when those flowers open.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.