-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, August 24, 2018

Garden Hopping to Garden Shopping: Covington Creek Nursery

When in an unfamiliar area looking at gardens, I frequently ask the lady in the phone (Google maps)  about nearby nurseries.  Every now and then she finds a place that's new to me.  Even though I don't need another plant, it's always enjoyable to see what plants and other merchandise each establishment carries and how it's presented.  That's it, looking at marketing techniques, not seeking a plant addiction fix.  You believe that, right? 

After visiting the Pepper garden, the phone sent  me to Covington Creek Nursery.  Here's a bit of what I saw.


 Stokesia 'Mel's Blue'

Fountains on sale.

In addition to a lot of great nursery stock, there were numerous pre-planted containers.


Careful of your Wellies, they might get planted up!


In the center of a table of agaves was this planter.  I love agaves and grass together and the shape of the pot is perfect for this combination.

To do all that potting, a fancy potting bench is really helpful.  You could take this one home. 

When you're finished planting, a comfy resting place is a good idea.

A blooming Clethra 'Sixteen Candles' caught my eye or rather my nose.  The car smelled divine all the way home.  Now where to plant it in my garden where it'll get sufficient sun and be close enough to the noses of passersby?

The feeling of Covington Creek is restful and unhurried.  Looks like they encourage people to sit and relax a bit.  (Who can relax when there's so much more to see and appreciate?)

Locally-made garden art is featured.  Hats off to CCN for sharing the wares of artists/craftspeople from their area; it gives the nursery a more personal feel. 




I've been thinking of getting a chicken planter in which to plant Sempervivum (Hens and Chicks) but don't know where I'd find space for it. One of these by Elnor Meroney would have been perfect.

Note the cactus tablecloths.  These folks clearly like playing with plants and containers.  How cool is that?

Approaching this planted pumpkin, I wondered how they got it to last so long without rotting.  While the first pumpkins are coloring up in the fields already, this didn't look brand new.  What gives?  It was one of those artificial pumpkins that the craft stores carry.  They're lightweight and can be carved.  I love this idea and may just copy it in a few months.


Okay all you people who are good at utilizing space, would a cone-shaped plant holder like this hold more plants in the greenhouse than a  rectangular bookcase-like shelving unit taking up roughly the same space?  Seems like the plants would get optimal light exposure this way but you'd have to give up space all around for walking/watering, etc.

Knock, knock.  Who's There?  Canoe.  Canoe who?  Canoe come out and play?

Oh darling, your hair is divine but your makeup is terrible! She looks so stone-faced. 

Think pink!

There was still a lot of nursery to explore, including yet another hydrangea.  I'm finally having success with them and they provide long-lasting color with little effort.

Hydrangea macrophylla 'Invincible Ruby'


Lycium barbarum (Goji Berry/Matrimony Vine)


Hope you enjoyed meandering through this creative place as much as I did. 
Happy weekend and happy gardening all!

12 comments:

  1. "Matrimony Vine"... I would love to know how that common name came about!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a really good question about that cone-shaped planter. It seems like a great idea but the space is always an issue. I also love that they feature local art work. With fewer and fewer galleries these days, artists need all the outlets they can get.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yah, that is what I was thinking too (about the Matrimony Vine), and where your Clethra 'Sixteen Candles' be planted.
    I like the succulents in the mossy wreath. And at the foot of those vibrant tulip canvas: is that a figurine of a yawning cat? It's funny, but cats do have giant yawns.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *Sigh* Can you even count the number of nurseries/garden centers within driving distance? This is another splendid example. I love the agave-grass container.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the virtual visit to your nursery, always lots to see on yout nursery visits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great nursery!!! I love those created artistic leaves.

    Have a great weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have the best nurseries in your area. So much going on, and yet so well presented. I think it's a great idea to showcase local artists, too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wouldn't have been able to resist that chicken planter. It is so nice. I doubt you gain any space with the cone plant holder. It would give your plants a lot of light. Your Clethera will be smelled from afar. I just love that fragrance wafting around. Have a great weekend figuring out where to plant it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another fun nursery. Looks like it could be a stop when we visit Soos Creek
    Botanical Garden.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Another fun one. Perhaps you could publish a guide to Nurseries of the PNW... you're definitely the one to write it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like to plant up old rain boots with annuals, but their colors always fade by the end of the summer - I need some of those boot planters! Love all the local garden art. Looks like a great place for some ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.