-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, August 30, 2018

A Peek Inside Steve Casebolt's Greenhouse

I finally joined the Cascade Cactus and Succulent Society after having enjoyed attending their sales for several years and having members of the group visit my garden a couple of times.  Steve and Claudia Casebolt, members of the CCSS  invited me to visit their garden a few years back and I fell in love with the garden and gardeners. You can see posts from that visit here and here. Once again, I took too many pictures for one post so today we'll peek inside the greenhouse.


 Steve is a multi-talented man.  He not only grew many of these plants from seed but also made the pots in which they're growing.


His cacti and succulents seem very happy and I've started using the same soil mix that he makes for my own collection.  ( 1/3 soil, 1/3 pumice grit, gravel, or perlite, 1/3 Montmorillonite Calcined Clay AKA Turface.)








This variegated Agave potatorum (Japanese Hybrid)  caught my eye when Steve brought one to the CCSS Odd Plant Show and sale last year.  I'd been thinking about it ever since and today, once again, I had a chance to bring one home.

Here's mom.  Isn't she  gorgeous?

 There are a lot of agaves in my collection which have grown quite large and, because they look happiest when potted up annually, will get even larger.  Perhaps it's time to send some of  those to California where they'll be happy in the ground and concentrate more on diminutive varieties.


Pachypodium in bloom. The fragrance is glorious. 











Epiphyllum buds.

So close...

Epiphyllum fruit.  Perhaps it's a night-blooming variety.


Haworthias






Isn't the plant kingdom fascinating?  So many variations.  Gasterole, I think. 


Hope you enjoyed this look inside Steve's greenhouse as much as I did!  

If you're a fan of plants like these,  do visit this year's Odd Plant Show and Sale at Sky Nursery in Shoreline on September 8 and 9. 

13 comments:

  1. The furry, white-haired 'Old Lady' cactus looks wonderful with all of them grouped together in a succulent bowl like that. What a great way to display them. So many fascinating specimens! I wish I had a bigger greenhouse! I need to reserve more room this winter for seed starting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whenever I see cactus and succulent collections like this all in one place, I'm astounded by just how much diversity there is among the different genera and species. The tracery on the cactus in photo #20 captured my attention in this post - I can't remember seeing anything like it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ones with that magenta glow around the edges. It would be amazing if he only grew these plants, let alone makes the pots and has a garden. I'm exhausted just thinking about any two of those!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, what fantastic and amazing looking plants.

    Thanks again Peter for more wonderful garden spaces, and thank you for your kind comment on my blog.

    Have a great Friday and weekend ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  5. An impressive and meticulously maintained collection. Thanks for sharing it. Have a great weekend, Peter! Is it really Sept. already?

    ReplyDelete
  6. What wonderful plants! Thanks for showing them to us. I find them so fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mercy, what an interesting greenhouse. I love the pots. Oh to be so talented.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great collection! And such a clean greenhouse. What a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lot of spines! I love looking at them, as long as I don't have to work around them. The "windows" in the haworthias have always fascinated me.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the pictures of the Epiphylum buds.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That last one, wow!!! Want. Thanks for the tour, so many fabulous plants.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing, I'm always stunned by the diversity of the plant kingdom. The 'Old Lady' cactus looks just right for me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So many lovely succulents, Peter! I enjoy looking at them but have an amazing ability to kill them off. I like the concrete wall with the flying ninja stars and hanging plants, it looks like an enjoyable place to hang out. My long ago obsession with planting fruits and vegetables turned my yard into a jungle of overgrown fruit trees and vines, I wasn't prepared for how everything grows into monsters here. It would be nice to have a more easily maintained landscape. Thanks for visiting my blog, it's fun to see some blogs again.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.