-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, July 17, 2017

In A Vase On Monday

The idea for today's vases was stolen borrowed from Sylvia at DIG Floral and Nursery on Vashon Island.  There were a couple of tall cylindrical glass containers kicking around the greenhouse in which I'd forced paperwhites during the winter.  The contents are some water lettuce and in the small vase is a water hyacinth all snagged from the pond. We don't often get to admire the grace and beauty of roots and these will last for months.  They remind me a little bit of those specimens of animals and body parts floating in formaldehyde-filled jars that used to line the shelves of of science classrooms.  Since Tom calls the greenhouse my laboratory (5 syllables; flipped R's) these really needed to go out there.


Speaking of forcing bulbs, I planted these several weeks ago and still haven't seen a thing. Am I doing something wrong?  The instructions on the interwebs were very simple and the nice lady at the store directed me to the bulb aisle where I found these. Having never grown 25 Watts before, I figured I'd experiment.  Certainly these will brighten up a dull corner if they ever decide to glow grow.

 Here they are, specimens and experiment together in the laboratory.

In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling In the Garden.  Click here to join in the fun!

19 comments:

  1. Great fun, Peter. A ingenious way to display water plants!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If the "bulbs" grow, will they qualify as grow-lights?
    The water plants display is really nice; I would't mind adopting it myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's what they'll be! Thanks for the giggle. Alison and I visited Swanson's on Saturday and we drove very slowly by your garden which is looking spectacular!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the complement, Peter. I mentioned your drive-by to the home owner and he said I saw a car slowing way down as it drove by the garden... He would have been happy to see you again.

      Delete
  3. Oh Peter, you are wonderful - I always have a giggle at your posts and I was not disappointed today :) Thank you for thinking out of the box, as you invariably do - you are a credit to the IAVOM meme! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I assume your guests next weekend will be invited to wander through the greenhouse? They're gonna love this!

    I brought some beautiful water lettuce indoors one fall, determined to overwinter it, or at least enjoy it for awhile. I think it took about a week before they simply collapsed. So sad...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll leave the door open for anyone brave enough to venture in there. It's not too dangerous right now with so many things being outside for the summer.

      Delete
  5. I love the water lettuce. It's like a green, jellyfish plant. I wonder if there is some other plant that would work since water lettuce is illegal here, too invasive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the Monday morning chuckle, I needed it. Are those bulbs planted in one of the terra cotta pots that you screeched to a halt for? The water lettuce looks great with the roots hanging down in those clear vases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the bulbs are planted in a pot that I found free somewhere else. However, there's an echeveria planted in one of those pots and it's inside one of the cages, already painted, ugly plastic replaced with glass and hanging in the greenhouse. Extra points if you can find it when you visit!

      Delete
    2. Wow! That was quick work! I'll look for it!

      Delete
  7. The roots are very beautiful in the vases and deserve to be admired. Do let us know if the bulbs grow, we could all save some money.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great vases all. It would be fun to draw the root vases.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is fun. What an interesting combo. Those rare BULBS must take more time to produce anything. Maybe they have to mature to glow...er grow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh what fun, I wonder what other plants you could grow like this. Interesting to see how long they will last.
    As for the rare bulbs,good luck with those. Strange things you get up to in your greenhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I wonder what the new bulbs will look like when they grow? I hope they sprout soon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Frankenpeter...you do know how to entertain!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.