-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Monday, July 11, 2016

In A Vase On Monday - Ikebana rule breaking

In a Vase on Monday is hosted by Cathy at Rambling in the Garden.  Last week Cathy challenged us to put together a vase today loosely based on Ikebana, the Japanese art of flower arranging.  Click here to see what she and others have come up with.

I know very little about anything but practically nothing when it comes to Ikebana, other than that I admire it.  The flowers to use for today's arrangement came to me in a nightmare as recent rains caused large groups of unstaked  fragrant lilies to bend over, many of them breaking just a week before a group is scheduled to tour my garden, a first for me.  Oh wait, that was real.  Oh well, the lilies that didn't break are trussed up like a turkey ready for the oven on Thanksgiving morning (not an attractive look.) Instead of sharing a large vase of lilies cut down in their prime, I'm using just two of them in this arrangement.

One rule is that the elements of the vase must be alive.  Oops.  Well, the branches were alive once. Also, this is a Japanese form and I've used a vase with Chinese writing.  The vase shape is also a bit out of character for Ikebana but here it is.  Forgive me everyone, I know not what I do.

In the entryway. Heaven, Earth, and  Man? Sun, Moon, and Earth?  Earth, Wind, and Fire?  No wait, that's the group from the 70's. I'm not the brightest crayon in the box but I had fun playing. 

On the contorted filbert "shelf."

On the waterfront.
Happy Monday, happy new week all!

28 comments:

  1. Thanks for the Monday morning chuckles, they don't call you Outlaw for nothing! Rule breaking is in your genes. I love your Ikebana attempt, and I'm so sorry about your lilies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks pal. I knew that I should stake that particular group of lilies but had been hand watering just the soil so thought I could cheat. Fortunately, I had some trellises sitting around and used those to prop things up a bit.

      Delete
  2. I like it. Simple and sassy in equal measure. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "on the waterfront"...hahaha. Nice work Outlaw!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Earth, Wind and Fire, definitely! Nice work, Peter. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Trust your plants to go haywire when a tour is in the offing. My lilies were all closed up tight when I had my recent tour. Now they are behaving like yours and turkey trussing is imminent. Love the contrast of the lichen-y branches with the lily flower. We have a number of Chinese and Japanese items in our house and are always mixing them together and hoping we are not angering any gods.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all good, the lilies will be mostly okay and the stuff I trampled to get to them is covered up by a potted plant sort of. We don't need any gods mad at us!

      Delete
  6. Your nightmare is only a brief diversion on the path to what I'm sure will be an enjoyable tour day in your wonderful garden. You made great use of the broken lilies and did a better job with the ikebana thing than I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gardens will be gardens and gardeners will understand.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thanks Sandra! The vase is actually a ginger jar sans lid.

      Delete
  8. Ikebana or not, it looks good.
    What is that "group is scheduled to tour my garden" business? is your garden part of a neighborhood garden tour?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Cascade Cacti and Succulent Society contacted me a few weeks ago and asked if they could tour my garden when they come to this area. It will be a relatively small group for a limited time so it'll be a nice way to see what it's like to have a group in my garden.

      Delete
  9. I think you me the challenge beautifully. Loved the vase....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like what you have done here...not qualified to comment on it Ikebananess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rickii. It was fun to throw this together.

      Delete
  11. You can't go wrong with lilies.
    We have an open garden coming up on saturday, and the moles have decided to attack. Then the raccoons move in and did up the shallow tuns. They made quite a mess last ngnt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no! So sorry. Your garden will still be fabulous for the garden open!

      Delete
  12. All accomplished with your usual wit and style Peter - great job! ps enjoy your visitors!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is so you...and also so Japanese Looking...love your choice of material, particularly the twig.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so you...and also so Japanese Looking...love your choice of material, particularly the twig.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.