-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Thursday, October 24, 2013

Euonymous europaeus 'Red Ace'

My Favorite Plant in the Garden This Week...

From the gospel according to Hinkley, (Heronswood: 1999 eueurre  p. 78)

"This selected form of the European Spindle Tree has exceptionally profuse crops of magical red-pink dingle-dangly fruit and orange-red autumn leaf color in full sun or partial shade in any soil. 


To 15'.  This acts as a beacon in our light woodland when in full fruit, drawing visitors across the garden to seek its identity."  Hardy to zone 5.
 
I wrote about this plant last year on October 26.  You can see that post here.  It's interesting to see that the leaves have changed color a little sooner this year.  Maybe silly to post about this plant twice but it is truly a gem and gives such a nice burst of color starting mid to late September.


You may recall that Euonymus latifolius was my favorite plant on September 3 of this year.  While that plant has long since finished blooming and is now shedding bight yellow-gold leaves, E.europaeus 'Red Ace' is still full of fruit.  These first pictures were taken about a week or so ago.

The next pictures were taken today.  The colors of the changing leaves along with the fruit is spectacular!


It can take quite a bit of pruning.  When I got this it was a nicely trimmed full shrub.  I tend to let things grow out a little more than I should so this looks a little wild but that works for me.

Just saying that if you want something a little more reserved, you can certainly make this shrub fit the bill.
 
The autumn foliage is quite lovely and also works well with the fruit. 

Some branches had this lovely dark wine red foliage which really set off the fruit.


For more information about this plant, look here, here, and here.

 Just couldn't stop taking pictures of this sweet plant!

My favorite plant this week is a meme hosted by my pal Loree Bohl, the inspirational writer of Danger Garden.  To see this weeks favorite plants of other bloggers click here.

19 comments:

  1. You can't beat pink with orange if you want something to stand out. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That color combination looked great on my black light posters back in the 70's!

      Delete
  2. I'm not sure which phrase made me laugh harder; "dingle-dangly" from Mr Hinkley, or the words "inspirational writer" referring to me from you.

    Fab color combinations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost wrote "those darned horticultural terms!" after the dingle-dangly part. What a hoot!
      Well, you've inspired a lot of people to consider several groups of plants in a different way. Or maybe they'd just grown everything else already and needed some new fodder for their compulsive shopping habit. Either way, you inspired and are therefore inspirational.

      Delete
  3. Dang! I simply cannot contain my unattractive, covetous feelings every time you show this beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a different one from the Thimble Tree I showed in September. Plant Lust says that a certain C nursery I located S quite near To yoU haS this beauty. I can't imagine anything unattractive about you; even your covetousness is lovely!

      Delete
  4. Hinkley's description is almost as wonderful as the plant itself!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful! Now, where could I put one?..... ;) So many plants, so few flower beds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always difficult to decide what to we can find space for!

      Delete
  6. I just love the Euonymus latifolius, wish I could put it in my garden but I have no space for it. I find those total colour clashing berries fascinating and anything evergreen with exciting flowers or berries usually gets an invitation to my garden – that is if they are small and compact. This one does not fit that bill! Loved your photos :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This can be pruned to be small and compact but I rather like it's sprawling habit. Planting something that wants to be five meters tall and keeping it trimmed to one requires a lifetime commitment to the secateurs. Glad you liked the photos.

      Delete
  7. So lovely, and unusual. I love the pink and orange combo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "magical red-pink dingle-dangly fruit and orange-red autumn leaf color" - it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peter, you're channeling that 70s poster for "The Endless Summer" with that gorgeous pink and orange combo. As you point out, its especially delicious backed by its turning leaves this week. Who knew Euonymous could be so unabashed!?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the poster alright! It's pretty brazen but that's why I love it.

      Delete
  10. I have been trying to find the name of this shrub forever. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.