-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Flower World B.S.

Before  Snow or Before Show, you choose, we drove up to Flower world to check out their indoor plant sale.  If you've been to this nursery, you know that the sales area covers 15 acres and three of those are inside the huge greenhouses.  Here's a fraction of what caught my eye.  

Outdoor blooms.

Camellia sasanquas will be winding down soon.

While Camellia japonicas are just starting. 

C. japonica 'Apple Blossom' 

'Debutante' 




Oh how I long for those gentle January days clear and relatively warm.  Sigh...

Heading inside. 


Fuchsia starts already starting to appear on the sales floor. 

A taste of the tropics.




Fish swimming up a stream of Spathiphyllum.

This temptress calls my name but having killed Cordyline terminalis 'Tricolor' before, I'll leaver her with her sisters.



House after house of  plants.

One year they had so many of these that they were giving them away with each purchase and even planted quite a few out in beds for the summer.  My own has survived for three years and desperately needs to be repotted.  Did I mention that I torture house plants?

Gorgeous palm

bearing fruit!


Sad to say, I have at least one of each of the cacti and succulents they have. 


Aglaonema 'Pink Dalmatian' Somehow one of these found it's way into my car.  I'm a sucker for pink-variegated foliage.

 A Calathea also came home to live with me.   To answer your question, no, there is not a window in my house that doesn't have a few plants huddled around it.

Crotons  are adored but they tend to want care that is more consistent than my flood then ignore for a month or two houseplant   technique.

Lovely pot.  Wish I had space for it. 

Calathea warscewiczii in bloom. 


Ooh...


I'm waiting for spring!

So are we!

One shudders to think what it must cost to heat three acres of retail greenhouse space and an even larger production area.  Do you suppose they'd mind if I just started living there? 

24 comments:

  1. Flower World have acres of display tables, and yet, you own "one of each of the cacti and succulents they have". That is an astonishing statement, Peter.
    The size of the Staghorn fern is jaw dropping.
    Do you happen to remember the name of the tri-color plant they gave away?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be fair, while they have large numbers of plants, the varieties of cacti and succulents they carry is somewhat limited. That Staghorn fern alone is worth the drive to this place.
      The tri-color plant is Stromanthe sanguinea.

      Delete
  2. Three acres of greenhouse sounds like heaven to me too. Re the Croton, they're impossible to keep looking good here as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine what it would be like to live in Florida or another tropical region where these grow happily in the ground. Wouldn't want to live in that kind of hot humidity myself but one might get used to it.

      Delete
  3. I'm sure they'd love to let you live there if you help out. I can see you as a great salesperson: enthusiastic and knowledgeable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's my dream to work part time in a greenhouse/nursery when I retire from teaching. Of course, the reality of working in a place like this might be very different from the fantasy.

      Delete
  4. I've killed a couple of Crotons myself, as well as that narrow-leaved Calathea. I like the one with the wide, dark-backed leaf that you bought. It was wonderful seeing the hibiscus flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to have a few plants inside during the winter.

      Delete
  5. I never think to visit this place when I'm up Seattle way. Were there any interesting Bromeliads?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No interesting Bromeliads. They usually have a cryptanthus or two but Bromeliads don't seem to be a specialty there. They certainly have the conditions to grow them beautifully.

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! I need to take myself to a greenhouse to get out of the winter doldrums here. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A visit to a warm greenhouse like this always lifts my spirits, especially during the winter.

      Delete
  7. What a great place to be for the winter. I suppose if I worked there, I'd grow tired of it, but seeing all that greenery right about now would be a great job perk. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who tortures house plants, egads, I'm bad with the poor things. People always want me to take their house plants off their hands and I tell them firmly, no, think of the plant, surely you know someone more qualified. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cacti and succulents do well for me because they thrive on neglect. Bromeliads are also pretty forgiving if you ever get the urge to have greenery inside.

      Delete
  8. A big greenhouse is a great place to visit in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cortons are so beautiful but require fairly consistent care. It's good to know that someone does well with them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow. What a place. Fabulous plants, plus warm in winter.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What camellias, Peter! It seems spring is coming to your place. Lovely fern and crotons. I always love to visit conservatories like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely plant fix. I love the camellias. I never knew that Calathea warscewiczii had flowers, I must keep my eye on mine. I bet your greenhouse is bursting at the seams.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Never even thought about their heating bill before, that's a scary thought! I managed to resist buying any houseplants during the sale but came home with a large purple Cordyline australis, which is currently decorating my garage. I can't wait to bring it outside this spring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. 15 acre is quite a wide space for plant show

    THANK YOU SOOOOOO much for this delightful visit

    i thoroughly enjoyed each glimpse of it

    how amazing that you know the names of all plants :)

    hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness...15 acres? Really? How do you focus? Amazing. I need to do a trip up north just for shopping. Yes, I too long for the warmer January days. Did I just say that? Here's to spring coming soon, Peter.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.