-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Friday, December 14, 2018

Getting out of the Rain - Inside Watson's

Yesterday we wandered outside Watson's in the rain; today, we'll look inside.  Interesting to see these arrangements with cut roses in them.


They're baaack.  The velvet pomegranates once again caught my eye but at $90.00 a pop one won't come home with me.  I bet I could make a few myself...


Ho, ho, ho!


There must have been some magic in that old silk hat they found.

These pots were attractive but the more I looked at them, the more they looked like kleenex boxes. 

Orchids everywhere.

And, of course, quite a few of these.



These were labeled simply "Hoya."  I've never seen one with foliage like this before.  

The pianist was away at the moment.


They've got you covered in the tree department!


I thought that I'd seen all the holiday stuff already but they just keep adding more.


Interesting vase.  Not $300.00 worth of interesting but fun to see. 

Some years I'm attracted to everything;  other years I look forward to it all going away to make room for plants.  This year falls into the latter category. 


In some cultures, chrysanthemums would never be brought into one's home as they're associated with death.   The mum/poinsettia combo is pretty colorwise but the significance of birth and death together adds a bit more meaning.




Oh, so cute. 


Are there genies in those bottles? 

Love the big gold fatsia leaves.

An idea for a Monday vase. 

Come on, it's lovely weather for a sleigh ride together with you.

Yet another interesting way to present forced paperwhites.  Forcing vase, napkin ring and boom. 

Have you decorated for the season?  

9 comments:

  1. Your photos of Watson's Christmas displays have me longing for Halloween's witches to come back. The velvet pomegranates are nice, but I'm sure you could make one easily. $90 is a ridiculously high price. I've never seen a Hoya that looks like that either, they look more like some kind of Rhipsalis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. $90 pomegranates??? $300 vase??? Someone had to much eggnog. Behind that pricy vase were some naked branches with gentle lights. I appreciate that minimalist approach after the color eruption everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, We have decorated, and managed to buy almost nothing new this year in our visits to all of the Christmas/nursery visits. I keep thinking about what will happen in however many years when we have to downside to assisted living. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice displays but $90 velvet pomegranates?! - were those seeds made from rubies? The kleenex box comment gave me a good chuckle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At 10 days left until Christmas, I wonder how much of this stock will sell? (Once a retailer, the business side of me never ends.) Do they have a big post-Xmas sale? I wouldn't want to be the employees who have to dismantle all this and pack it away!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yes, we are decorated as much as will be done this year. Like you say, some years you like and do more than others. This is one of those off years for me. I enjoyed seeing all that is available in your area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. “The pianist was away at the moment”... I was hoping that would be followed by “so I sat down, tickled those ivories, and started to sing...”

    ReplyDelete
  8. Velvet pomegranates were lovely, but $90????? Yes you could make them, and I think the place would have been blessed if you had sat down at the piano, to play and sing.

    I have decorated, but cut back this year. ;-)

    Happy Christmas holidays dear Peter ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  9. That reminds me, we need to pick up a couple of Poinsettia.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.