-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, April 12, 2017

Wednesday Vignette - From My Kitchen Window

It's once again pink carpet time in the bed outside my kitchen window.  The inherited camellia sheds petals on the ground making the blue of the pulmonaria blooms pop.  The screaming yellow of skunk cabbage blooms will soon add to the visual cacophony of color.

When those in the know warn not to site a pond near trees, their advice should be followed.  Oops.  Instead I get to skim the pond a couple of times a day.  The koi don't seem to mind.

Soon the magnolia will be adding its petals to the mix.  Really, don't do this unless you really want to be playing with your pond a couple of times a day for most of the year.  (Summer brings falling bamboo leaves and in the fall the falling magnolia leaves litter the water.


The trick is to remain calm and enjoy the passing of time.

Wednesday Vignette is hosted by blogging pal Anna at Flutter and Hum.  Click here to see her vignette this week and to find links to those of other participants.



11 comments:

  1. Your garden carpeted in pink is just beautiful but I can indeed see how the petals and leaves can be a problem with the upkeep of your pond.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I don't have a pond that needs skimming but I sure do wish my Camellia would flower like that. It probably doesn't help to hear how pretty it looks, but it does look so pretty strewn with petals. The fish would mind if you didn't skim, because all that stuff that lands on top would eventually sink to the bottom and rot, and steal oxygen out of the water.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning sight, but... a couple of times a day??? I know for sure I would fail miserably at that kind of upkeep. I think it takes a special dedication to stay on top of that. Looks beautiful, though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, it's stunningly beautiful even though it's a lot of work for you. It would almost seem intentional by the natural beauty of it all! I try to remind myself of "natural" beauty when the neighbors' Cottonwood trees puff white snowy fluff all over my garden in late May and early June. I have no control over it, and it creates hours of work to rake it all up and skim it off the pond. But there is beauty in it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for doing the work to provide us all with this fleeting image of beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a strange color for the ground! Don't know that I'd like it... I DO know I would not like them in the pond. Would you trade them for silver maple "helicopters"? That's what I'm skimming now...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your garden is dreamy every time of year! I'm glad you're channeling your inner Buddha on the pond clean-up. Skimming the pond should be a soothing, contemplative exercise, like raking the sand in a zen garden (so says she who curses the mimosa tree from the time it leafs out until it drops its last seedpod, which is usually about the same time the tree leafs out).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love seeing more views of your garden. The blue leaf behind the Buddha is a wonderful setting for him. We usually only get fall leaves in our pond. Spring flowers fall on gravel paths causing their own kind of problems. After 20 years our pond is surrounded by trees. We haven't cleaned it in a couple of years and have just started to work on it this week. A slimy mess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your taste in carpeting. Raking and skimming can be a very peaceful activity.

    ReplyDelete

  10. Really pretty. It seems that most camellias just drop their whole bloom in a mushy "plop". Yours is well trained to create such beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So pretty. But no, rotting petals and leaves won't do at all!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.