-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face

Recently I read a piece on Garden Rant called Keep Your Garden out of My Face & it got me to thinking about all of the faces I have in my garden. Here are a few.  Warning!  Abandon all hope of finding anything tasteful all you who read on from here!
 
 


St. Francis has no idea which came first the chicken or the egg.  Might be interesting to replace the lightbulb with the head of Col. Sanders & replace the egg in his left hand with a small ax. 
 
 
 Someone needs a haircut!
Most of these faces are hidden and can only be seen if one seeks them out.  Many can only be seen in the winter.
 
Some are serene..


Some not so much.



Here's where St. Francis left his head.



A friend gave me this piece of broken statuary.  I added the happy face.








Had to pull a lot of vegitation back to even see this fellow who is one of those winter only guys.   Fear not, it's ceramic.




Looking a little concerned.  You'd be too if a fern were growing out of your head.  Just guessing. 
Beethoven looking quite composed.


 



 It's nice to feel that one is being watched in the garden.
 
Believe it or not, there are many more.  It's not just faces, either.  Many other body parts appear.
 
I like to think that this is what happens to garden vandals - The plants exact revenge by consuming them.  
 Wouldn't you give your hand to a friend?


 
i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it’s you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you
 
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
 
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)
 
e.e.cummings
 
    If you're a fan of choral music, there's a beautiful setting by Z. Randall Stroope, one of my favorite living composers, of this poem here.
From Head to toe, just about every body part makes an appearance. 
 
 
 
The End.
 
 
 


18 comments:

  1. Absolutely love, love, LOVE this! What a brilliant use of broken statues. I wish I had your creativity. I saw some heart shaped baubles recently at Snoqualmie and was tempted, but didn't know what I'd do with them. I've thought of trying the trick of using cement in plastic gloves to make hands for the garden. A craft for the winter, I think. I have a few faces out there, but nothing like yours. Placement in the garden always stymies me too. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it Alison. I don't know anything about placement, I just keep getting goofy stuff and throwing it around. Suppose that's why my garden is so tacky.

      Delete
  2. Hahahhaha...if ony that was REALLY what the plants did to vandals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My lord your garden can fit a lot more people in it than I realized! (love the plant combo in the first picture)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, creepy, and all in between.

    I haven't read garden rant in a while, need to check on that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interestingly, that's the way most people describe me as well:)

      Delete
  5. Oh my! what an intriguing collection... I'd like to think the plants could take care of the vandals....

    ReplyDelete
  6. hahaha! I LOVE the *ceramic skull!!! Your garden is sooo Indiana Jones!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh Outlaw i'm going to have nightmares for months. Those feet sticking out of the shrubs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about the nightmares. Hopefully they're nothing that a few weeks of therapy or a nice prescription won't fix.

      Delete
  8. Cool! Let's face facts: your garden goes right to the head of the class. ;^)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A groan is the proper response to a pun like that, right?

      Delete
  9. I like the "not-so-serene" faces! They seem to fun to add to the garden... maybe when mine is a little more bushy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.