-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Saturday, January 9, 2021

A Favorite Christmas Surprise


Hello all,  I think of you often and hope you're doing well.  It's been a while since I posted and there have been some changes in all of our lives. Coming back to Blogger after all this time, I wondered if I'd remember how to do this.  The tools here have changed a bit.  If you're reading this, I somehow figured it out. 

 Sometimes, in the midst of turmoil, there comes a ray of light that lightens one's spirit.  Just before Christmas, one such ray of light came in the form of a mystery in my mailbox. I didn't recognize the name or address of the sender listed on the slip of paper left by the postal carrier saying that I had a parcel to pick up at the post office.  Could it be dangerous  seeds from China?  Random gift from a family member  sent directly to me from a supplier?  A google search didn't prove helpful.  I'd just have to wait until the next day to head over to the post office and find out.  There was a sense of fun and comradery  among the pre-holiday throng at  the post office the next day.  (All wearing masks and spaced 6 feet apart and spilling out onto the street.)  It was almost like a holiday party.  When the package was finally in my hands, it was obviously a book.  What book could it be?


Books are awfully decorative don't you think?



 I'd already ordered a copy of Fearless Gardening  to be delivered after the release date in January so it was a delightful surprise to receive this early copy directly from the printer.  That it fit so well with my color scheme was an added bonus.


I've been a fan of Loree Bohl's Danger Garden Blog  for years.  In fact, nine years ago, as a surprise for a significant birthday, I actually got to meet Loree and visit her garden.  That meeting was the first of many as we visit each others gardens every so often and have become friends through the wonderful world of garden blogging.  

I wonder if the Bohl household looked anything like this recently?
 


So, how's the book?  you might ask.  Well, as someone who has read a fair number of garden books, I think this one is stellar and not just because there's a picture of my garden in there. (Very humbling to have my tackiness in such a fabulous book.)  Loree's excellent design skills and love of plants shines through every page of the book just as in her garden.  The book is like a key to freedom for gardeners who seem bound by the garden commandments, a celebration of gardening as an adventure, not a destination, a process, not a product.  I started skimming through a few pages here and there and decided that this is a book that I want to savor for a long time so I'm limiting myself to a few pages each day.  It's a book chock full of beautiful word images, gorgeous photographs, and wonderful advice about doing what makes you happy with your garden space. While it's filled with great information, it reads like a visit with a wise old (as in long term, not elderly) friend and will join some of my perennial favorite garden books that are reread frequently.  



If this book isn't in your hands yet, you should remedy that soon.  If you're looking for a gift for a gardening friend, you can't go wrong with this one. 


44 comments:

  1. What a treat to have you back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy, It's fun to dip my toe back into the pool. Hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  2. Leave it to you to find the PERFECT clips from a movie for this review. As usual, I'm impressed by both your power of recall and your ability to interject just the right touch of humor into almost anything. Loree's book is very readable, unlike many of the garden tomes I treat mainly as picture books. Nice to see your blog pop up again too, Peter. I hope this isn't just a one off - garden blogdom has missed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've missed being here and still think of all my blogging friends every day. Doing this was a lot easier than I remember so maybe I'll do more. Just thought of something to share on a walk earlier today. I hope you're finding creative ways to stay healthy and happy during this crazy time.

      Delete
  3. Hi Peter, So good to see you back even if it is a short while. I can't wait to get Loree's book. Awaiting its arrival. I loved these movie clip they were perfect for this post. I can just see Loree flying around a room waving her manuscript. ha... I hope all is well and good with you. Cheers, Lisa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa, Great to hear from you again. I think of all my blogging friends even though I've been away. Hope all is well with you!

      Delete
  4. Hi Peter, so nice to see your post in my inbox. I hope you have been well, you are missed here in the blogosphere! Loree's book has us all abuzz... very exciting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Peter, this is one of my favorite movies of all time. I watch it at least once a year. I was so happy to see your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year! I was happy to see your post! I hope you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to hear from so many old blog pals. All is well here and I hope the same for you.

      Delete
  7. Lovely surprise to see your post waiting for me, nice to have you back Peter, will look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to be here and I'll make an effort to post again.

      Delete
  8. It’s good to see you post again, you’ve been missed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear Peter ~ how wonderful to see you here. Hope you will be posting more, you've been missed!!! Love, hugs and prayers ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good to hear from you Peter! Loree book is fabulous. I to am savoring it. I have not blogged much since my youngest granddaughter was born. We have her hear 2 days a week for a sleep over. Takes me a day to recover. Then working full time on top of that leaves little time for anything else. I have barely noticed sheltering in place. I hope you come back with some pics of your garden in Spring. HUGS Laurin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased for you Laurin! Congratulations on your new addition!

      Delete
  11. Peter, you're back! so wonderful to hear from you again. How exciting for Loree to have such a beautiful book published.
    If you decide to continue posting, give yourself a break. No one has to post everyday about every garden there is. We just like to hear from you and have you share your wonderful sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda, wise advice indeed. Thanks and I'm glad to hear that all went well for you recently.

      Delete
  12. As a silent member of your legion of admirers, hooray! So good to hear from you again. Absence has definitely made this heart grow fonder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment, Silent! It was fun to drag out and dust off the blog.

      Delete
  13. Lovely surprise to see a post here. Also lovely is to see old friends' comments. It's been a difficult 2 years for many of us for one reason or another. I was just thinking about starting up again, myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Jean, I would love to read blog posts from you again but totally understand that sometimes we need to do other things.

      Delete
  14. Didn't know your aunt was literate! Ha! Ha!

    A delight to see a post from you again. What a fun one, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hoover Boo. Now we all know that Loree is literate!

      Delete
  15. So good to hear from you again! Rosalind Russell is one of the greats (His Girl Friday) but I haven't seen Auntie Mame yet, so thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG, Auntie Mame is a must see. Rosalind Russell is magnificent in the role.

      Delete
  16. How was I the last to know you'd posted again! I blame the stupid blog reader I use for reading blog posts that's always a few days behind, but alas this was more than a few days ago! So many things I want to say. I am so honored that you allowed me to include your garden in the book. You've taught me so many things. Thank you my dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you've taught me many things! Thank you, dear Loree for your gifts of friendship, humor, style, your blog, and now this amazing book. You're my shero!

      Delete
  17. I'm glad to see a new (to me) post from you. I still get visitors from your link to my blog so thanks for that.

    This sounds like a good book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a good book! I love it for the same reasons as I love Loree's blog.

      Delete
  18. I wander past what I suspect is your yard fairly frequently. Today I was enjoying a Lonicera that seems not to care about our weather last week. I smelled it before I saw it. Glad you're doing ok, and glad you're back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cynthia,
      Yes, that Lonicera is wonderful and the hummingbirds love it. Had to cut it way back this year. People seem to like to be able to park and use the sidewalk. Go figure... Do say hi if you ever find me outside!

      Delete
  19. I pretty sure I'M the last to know about this post!
    Its nice to hear from you again, Peter. I wish this post would be a first of many, even sporadic posts. I do miss your humor and garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you a few weeks ago. I was in Seattle and decided to visit Swanson's. I waved at your garden on the way by. Hope you are still well and happy!

      Delete
  20. I'm well, happy and wishing you'd let me know next time you do a drive by :-D

    ReplyDelete
  21. You are a charmer and charming. We'd like more! Continue to keep well. You are keeping well, aren't you?

    ReplyDelete
  22. It has taken me this long to see your post ? Good grief .. I really have been under the weather and missing out !
    I am so glad to see you are surfacing a wee bit at a time and hope to see more of you ;-) Stay safe and healthy !

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've missed you and your wonderfully entertaining posts Peter. Hope you are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I didn't know Peter that you continue your blog. And today I have opened my old post and found your name. What surprise! You've written in January Hopefully you're right and healthy. Glad to know about the book and your good friend.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.