-

-
Although this could very well be a picture of me finding a new treasure at a favorite nursery, it's actually an illustration by David Catrow for a children's book called Plantzilla.

Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Visiting Van Lierop Garden Market

No visit to Sumner, WA would be complete without stopping by Van Lierop Garden Market.  Inside is a beautiful gift and florist shop full of wonders.  The day was so nice that I wanted to be outside so I didn't take any pictures of the interior.  You'll simply have to visit yourself and explore!



Van Lierop always has imaginative containers beautifully planted.  What gardener wouldn't be thrilled to receive this?

Mental note, go back and get some Bergenia 'Magic Giant' to combine with mondo grass and sword fern.  This is a stunning foliage combination for winter!

The new(ish) water feature is looking great!

Someone is having fun with hypertufa!  As always, these heads on a stick made me smile!



We are so lucky that in our climate moss will cover just about anything.

Inside the greenhouse, everything looks so nice.  Wouldn't it be sweet to have a huge greenhouse like this where one could display his/her plants rather than just squish them in to store them for the winter? 

It's a lovely dream.
 







 

19 comments:

  1. Unique combo there the last pic, phormium and succulents/echeverias!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, it's been ages since I was at Van Lierop, I definitely need to go back. They aren't huge with lots of plants, but what they do have is choice and unusual. I love those hypertufa heads. They would look wonderful out in the garden covered with moss as well. The one with the tiara and the hanging one with the faucet handles for eyes are just great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we could make those Alison or at least have a fun time and make a big mess trying. Yes, everything at Van Lierop is special.

      Delete
    2. I love the idea of getting together at some point for a little mess-making! Just say the word...

      Delete
  3. I'll take it! (the big greenhouse)...Now where will I put it? Perhaps the neighbors back yard, he's not doing anything with it anyway...

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely store! I particularly like that 1st combination in what looks like an old-fashioned lunchbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a nice place and the people there are equally wonderful.

      Delete
  5. Makes me want to get out there and soak up some garden variety holiday cheer. Hmmm...visitors arriving today: not gardeners, but perhaps I can Tom Sawyer them into such a day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the nurseries are full of non gardening sorts of things now, your friends would love to visit!

      Delete
  6. What a fun, creative shop. If I knew of a convenient wormhole, I would definitely go there straight away ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've only been there at daffodil time. I didn't realize they has a year round shop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two different VanLierops, although I think they're cousins. One had the big bulb farm the other has this cool little shop in downtown Sumner. Sumner also has some fun antique shops so you could make a day of Windmill, Woodland Park Greenhouse, Val Lierop's and McClendon Hardware nursery section and hit all the antique shops in between. This also works well in Puyallup!

      Delete
  8. Wouldn't it be fun to have a truly big greenhouse where there was room for stunning displays and a tea table and such? Meanwhile I'm glad to have a small space where tenders can be stuffed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you Jean. Thankful for my tiny glass room but it's fun to dream.

      Delete
  9. LOL having a bigger greenhouse would probably mean more plants being squished in. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment! I love to hear your thoughts.